• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5 Star General Proof Halfs by Joe Terrana

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

What the heck !!!

I was just searching E Bay and what makes a proof 70 5 star Gen half graded by PCGS go for over $600 and a proof NGC go for under a $100. Is there that much difference ? What the heck I've also found this with 70 grade silver eagles. Is it just cause of the POP ?

See more journals by Joe Terrana

It's the same with any new coin out. Some dealers will mark up over 4X value as there are no sales prices to go by yet. Luckily you think "what the heck" as you seem a bit too smart to fall for a price like that. Other collectors that aren't in this club would not have a clue as where to start on a price for that coin and probably purchase it.

Later---

For the 5 Star Generals and other new releases...I believe it's the "newness" of the coin. Wait a few months and the prices usually settle.

And just to add...I believe PCGS is always over priced...with new releases...IMHO.

Jeffrey

Unfortunately the list price for any PCGS coin will exceed that of a coin of the same graded by NGC just about every time whether the coin is old or new modern issue. Sometime as much as several thousands or more dollars. Not sure why that is as I have coins from both companies in my collection but would never pay a premium just for a label. Remember too always buy the coin and not the slab.

I got my $1 5 star general PF70UC for $95.99 from crc-1 They are one of the bigger sellers who will flood the market with coins. I bid on 5 coins until I got one for under $100. I also like that they have some auctions ending late in the evening.

Nothing wrong with a nice coin at a fair price. :banana:

The reason the PCGS PR70DC 5-Star Generals half dollar ultimately sold for over $2K is it was the first one available in public auction from a condition census that only recently updated to show 10 total examples. All bidders but two refrained from bidding more than $1,001. Two people really wanted the coin and bid in the $2K area. One won.

The two bidders in question likely have or want to have top modern commemorative sets in the PCGS Registry. Quality on the 5-Star Generals half dollars - especially the Denver mint state issue - is deplorable. So bidders may be concerned the PCGS 70 pop will remain low and therefore make acquiring an example difficult.

The whole thing is ultimately ridiculous. Illustrating the point graphically is the NGC "PF 70 ULTRA CAMEO" example I purchased. It has numerous defects and should never have received a 70. Ever. That it got past ***THREE*** NGC graders really irritates me and makes me wonder about the other 350+ examples currently bearing the ultimate grade.

Beijim