• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Surprise at my local bank today. by John M. Robinson II

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Turned 50 Cents into eight dollars.

For giggles, I visited one of my local banks and asked for rolls of quarters. On a whim, I also asked if they had any 1/2 dollar rolls. The teller, who I did not know, told me that she had none.

The teller next to her, however, stated that she had only four 1/2 dollar coins. I handed her two dollar bills and took my four 1/2 dollars along with four rolls of quarters, said thanks and headed to my car.

As I got to the car I casually looked at the 1/2 dollar coins. Two were the 1776-1976, in good condition. The other two brought a surprised smile.

Two Kennedy half dollars; 1964 and 1965; both silver were in my old hands. The NGC FMV showed a drop in value for 64' and 65' Kennedy Silver coins but, for VG condition, the value exceeded face value.

Melt value is just over $8.00 dollars for each of the coins, as I understand the melt value thingy posted through NGC site.

Not bad for a whim from an old U.S. Marine.

Have fun in your adventures this weekend.

Semper Fi !

Jack

See more journals by John M. Robinson II

Congrats' John!

That was a swell pick up,,,,, It's funny that even someone in the business

as a bank teller' didn't know what she/he had,,,,lol' . I'm betting after people start reading your thread here John, they'll be stopping at their bank more often and asking the same thing' you did,,,,and very possible' will get the same stroke of luck also. It amazes me' that alot of people just don't take the time to look or care about things like this.

This is somewhat related to what I mentioned in my journal last year of

(coins waiting to be found, could you be so lucky?) of being at the right place at the right time. Enjoyable reading' thanks for sharing.

Way to go!,,, Jim Berline

GREAT FIND!!! And good new for me as well as I have 3 or 4 complete rolls of 1964, 1965. and 1966 half dollars that's at least 9-12 rolls I better get started cherry picking them and selling the rejects as I want more money to get my mint sets graded and I want 2 of the new west point American Eagle sets coming out on the 9th of may at $ 149.99 a set.

Again great find and thank you for making my weekend..

Happy Collecting and may God Bless.....Mike

Congrats! It's always exciting to find silver in change these days some 50 years from when they were first minted.

Just want to comment on one thing you posted.

Melt value is just over $8.00 dollars for each of the coins, as I understand the melt value thingy posted through NGC site

The 64 is 90% silver and has a melt value of just over $8 like you mentioned at todays silver price.

The 65 is only 40% silver and has a melt value of around $3+.

I have never referenced NGCs melt value calculator but here is a good one.

Coinflation Silver Melt Values

Have a great weekend :grin:

Mtnstyne,,,

Thanks for spotting my error in regards to the '65 Silver Kennedy melt value. I stand corrected. My mis-used the word .. each... I still did pretty good on the melt value of the '65.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.