• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your thoughts on proof-like coins?

48 posts in this topic

That'd look nice truviewed!!! Id also offer a strong price for it!
No, it wouldn't. That would mean you would loose the PL designation, and then it would be just another $3 steel wheat cent. If you really want good photographs, send them to a decent photographer and save yourself a whole bunch.

No, it wouldn't. That would mean you would loose the PL designation, and then it would be just another $3 steel wheat cent. If you really want good photographs, send them to a decent photographer and save yourself a whole bunch.

I like the coin and dont really care about the PL designation. I have a couple PL's I cracked out and sent ATS allready

I like the coin and dont really care about the PL designation. I have a couple PL's I cracked out and sent ATS allready

Your choice I guess. They aren't going to garner as much of a premium when you try to sell them, but hey, they're your coins.

Thanks BKW and physics fan, for the congratulations. So far there have been five people who have contacted me about selling this coin; some of which didn’t even respond to the post. To those of you who have contacted me thank you very much for your interest, I don’t have immediate plans to sell the coin but when I do I will contact each of you to let you know when/if I decide to sell. The comments have been great thus far, PL coins are not something that I often seek out due to the scarcity but I got lucky with this coin. I guess I’m having a good luck streak in regards to my numismatic endeavors, between this coin, my last submission, and my formal scholarship recipient to the ANA summer seminar I think that the hard work and dedication to the hobby is really starting to show! Thank you all for the well thought out responses, they have shed light on some aspects that I may have previously overlooked.

Don.

Whats a coin like this go for?? Atleast $600 or so right?

Holy ! No, I would expect this to go for more like $75 or 100, realistically. Now that you have a bunch of big-ego people fighting for it there might be a bidding war, but $600 is just plain ridiculous.

Keep in mind DF this coin does only grade 63.

The 1943-s is the only Wheat Cent in PL. The population is:

MS63 1

MS64 0

MS65 3

MS66 5

MS67 1

-----------------------

Total Population = 10

The coin is worth a premium, but I agree with Jason that $600 would be overpriced at this grade level. I could see a 66 or 67 going that high, but not the 63. I am also close with Jason on pricing. My initial thought was that the coin was worth approximately $100 - $125.

I’m a little confused by your comment RWB could you clarify?

I was referring to the "bag worms" that must have crawled all over the gold pieces posted above. That's the look I do not like on PL coins.

Generally speaking I've never been a big fan of proof coins. Proof-like circulation strike coins I like even less...generally speaking. The reason I often dislike the latter is due to the fact many of these have dies that were polished leaving striations that show up on the coin (raised lines). To me these "look" like hairlines (obviously they aren't)...there are usually a LOT of them too. It's a matter of eye appeal for me.

Not all PL coins are overly saturated with die polish lines.

Even on the ones that are (the 1934-1954 coins), those line completely vanish at certain angles.

I was referring to the "bag worms" that must have crawled all over the gold pieces posted above. That's the look I do not like on PL coins.

While any PL piece is cool, in the grades of 60, 61, and 62, there are just too many marks and hairlines and imperfections that impede the mirrors to be able to fully appreciate the coin. Even in 63, there are often too many marks. That is why I am trying to assemble my set in 64 or greater - at this level, the fields are usually clean enough that the mirrors are really obvious.

I looked at an 1891 10c graded ms64 PL at the GNA show today. I personally do not care for them, but the coin made me think of this thread. The ask was $995 I have know idea what these go for, but the price seemed like a huge premium to me. What would you PL gurus expect a coin like that to sell for?

I looked at an 1891 10c graded ms64 PL at the GNA show today. I personally do not care for them, but the coin made me think of this thread. The ask was $995 I have know idea what these go for, but the price seemed like a huge premium to me. What would you PL gurus expect a coin like that to sell for?

A lot of assumptions go into figuring out the premium for a coin like this:

1. I assume it was NGC and not another service. Anacs will not get as much of a premium.

2. I assume the coin was attractive

3. I assume the mirrors were of average depth and not borderline (a borderline PL will sell for less, a borderline or single sided DPL will sell for more)

4. I assume the typical buyer wants it for type and not for a date set (the Seated Liberty Dime as a type is actually fairly common in PL. 1891 as a date in PL has 3 specimens graded at 64 PL)

Now, assuming all this, I would expect it to sell for about $550 - $600. However, if it is really attractive, and one side has really strong mirrors and there is cameo contrast, like the example here: http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1184&lotNo=7847 then it is possible that it could go to $700 or higher. $1k seems a bit too high to me, but if there is a bidding war for a really nice example then anything is possible.

Seated Liberty Dimes are not particularly difficult in PL, and the 1891 is a common date. It is certainly worth a premium, but $995 sounds like MS66PL money to me. With generic 64s selling in the $300-$350 range (based on Heritage sales data), I would estimate a 64 PL to be worth approximately $425-$525.

Edited to add: An 1886 NGC MS66 PL sold for $862.50 in September of 2010. The value may have increased by a nominal amount, but the number should be about right. Unless the coin was unusually PQ, I would stand by my assertion that the coin is overpriced. The seller was asking for MS66 PL money for it.

A lot of assumptions go into figuring out the premium for a coin like this:

1. I assume it was NGC and not another service. Anacs will not get as much of a premium.

2. I assume the coin was attractive

3. I assume the mirrors were of average depth and not borderline (a borderline PL will sell for less, a borderline or single sided DPL will sell for more)

4. I assume the typical buyer wants it for type and not for a date set (the Seated Liberty Dime as a type is actually fairly common in PL. 1891 as a date in PL has 3 specimens graded at 64 PL)

Now, assuming all this, I would expect it to sell for about $550 - $600. However, if it is really attractive, and one side has really strong mirrors and there is cameo contrast, like the example here: http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1184&lotNo=7847 then it is possible that it could go to $700 or higher. $1k seems a bit too high to me, but if there is a bidding war for a really nice example then anything is possible.

It was NGC.

I did not find it unattractive, however it did not jump out at me either.

I really can not compare the ha pics to a coin in hand. I also can not compare the coin in hand to others since I do not normally look at them.

Seated Liberty Dimes are not particularly difficult in PL, and the 1891 is a common date. It is certainly worth a premium, but $995 sounds like MS66PL money to me. With generic 64s selling in the $300-$350 range (based on Heritage sales data), I would estimate a 64 PL to be worth approximately $425-$525.

Edited to add: An 1886 NGC MS66 PL sold for $862.50 in September of 2010. The value may have increased by a nominal amount, but the number should be about right. Unless the coin was unusually PQ, I would stand by my assertion that the coin is overpriced. The seller was asking for MS66 PL money for it.

I also looked a the price for generics. That was my first indication the premium was hefty.

I am sure like anything else it depends on the coin and the buyer/buyers.

Like I said it just made me think of this thread so I took a peek.

Now if photobucket will quit jamming tonight I can post some pics of my new coins.

While any PL piece is cool, in the grades of 60, 61, and 62, there are just too many marks and hairlines and imperfections that impede the mirrors to be able to fully appreciate the coin. Even in 63, there are often too many marks. That is why I am trying to assemble my set in 64 or greater - at this level, the fields are usually clean enough that the mirrors are really obvious.

I have never owned a US PL coin and have never seen the ones discussed here in person but I still agree with you anyway. I do not care for most coins in grades of MS-60 to MS-62 either and I doubt the PL designation would really change that.