• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG on this Roanoke *Grade Revealed*

20 posts in this topic

I would be comfortable with it in a 64. I have to agree with Carl, regardless what the label says, you only pay what you feel it's graded.

I agree with MS-64 although if it is in a green label holder, it could be MS-63. Roanoke commemorative half dollars generally come very nice.

Just a suggestion, Deerfan, but you need to be more critical of marks on the coins when you are grading them. This one has a few marks on Sir Walter Raleigh's bust and a big one, about half way down on Virginia Dare's mother's dress. Those marks would preclude the MS-66 grade.

Here is a high end MS-64. I sold off an MS-65 graded Roanoke from my collection and kept this one because it was better.

RoanokeO_zps7aee07f8.jpgRoanokeR_zps0a8ffa22.jpg

Well, rather than have you guys argue whether it is MS-63 or 64 ----

it is graded MS-65 with a GOLD bean. So DeereFan pretty much is in agreement with the TPGs.

137060.jpg.dbfc6f6eb4d07ae0f32c453067b6b2b9.jpg

I don't understand the "gold bean" at all. hm

That says the coin could make MS-66. It has originalty going for it, but the marks are not insignificant at this level.

Of course the new thinking among some experts is "marks don't matter" :o ... at least when they are SELLING coins. When they BUYING them, that might be another story ...

I don't understand the "gold bean" at all. hm

That says the coin could make MS-66. It has originalty going for it, but the marks are not insignificant at this level.

Of course the new thinking among some experts is "marks don't matter" :o ... at least when they are SELLING coins. When they BUYING them, that might be another story ...

It's my understanding that a gold bean means the coin is highly likely to regrade at least 1 point higher. I'm not a grading expert, and as we all know photos can be deceptive in both directions.

Thanks for opinions.

There are a few hits, a couple in the brim of the hat and one directly to the right of the eye. Although the marks seem to be in the prime focal area, I did not find them to be that distracting. There are also 3 other hits, one in the "D" of United, one in the "S" of States and one in the "R" of Dollar. Even with these minor hits, that are probably easier to see under magnification, I still stand by my original thought on the grade. IMO, the coin has great eye appeal and also appears to have an excellent strike. All in all, still an excellent coin!

I know I'm late in the game but before the reveal I was going on a 66 myself. I guess Bill's advice applies to both of us Deerfan.

I know I'm late in the game but before the reveal I was going on a 66 myself. I guess Bill's advice applies to both of us Deerfan.

But Bill was not in agreement with the TPGs. His opinion appreciated nonetheless.

The piece I posted here has been dipped, and that is the one negative it has. This piece "bumped" an MS-65 coin out of my collection, which I did not like as well. I committed "registry point suicide" by replacing a higher grade coin with a lower graded coin.

Given the look of the coin I sold I could see the piece that started this string getting an MS-65 grade. There is no way that I could see that piece making MS-66 unless we are looking at "grade-flation" for the MS-66 grade.

But Bill was not in agreement with the TPGs. His opinion appreciated nonetheless.

Yes ... I was saying that I wasn't paying much attention to marks either. I just thought overall the coin was a really nice coin and deserving of a 66.

I have problems giving coins to high a grade, especially when I am buying them for myself, so I have been trying to be conscious of this but I like the coin and I think, if I had any money, I would pay for a 65 easily on this coin.

How much does it cost to get CAC? Seems like extortion ...... Al Capone sold insurance at one time as well.

The "overall nice looking coin" should apply to MS-64. When you get above MS-65, you are looking an exceptional coin that is really nice. There are a few the "old" (1891 - 1954) commemoratives that are "common" in MS-66 (e.g. Norfolk, York, San Diego), but most of them, especially the pieces from 1892 to the 1920s, are not easy.

When you are in the market for MS-66 graded I would suggest that you get picky and fussy. They should have great eye appeal and no distracting marks. If you fact you should have to hunt to find the marks on an MS-66 or higher graded piece. Buying over graded coins is easy. Selling them for the prices listed on the Gray Sheet and other wholesale guides is another matter.