• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First GSA Morgan posted by CBC

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Started off with a good one

For the past dozen years or so, my collecting focus has been first completing and then upgrading my Walking Liberty half set, with Franklin half sets and a few Mint sets to keep things interesting. I pretty much ran out of Walker upgrades within my budget so I recently started working on Morgan dollars.

105 (!!!) slots to fill! Some of them easy,some difficult, some I'm sure will prove to be impossible (again, within budget). However, i'm trying to be very particular about what I buy. One decision, influenced by the journals of Mr. Bo Jingles, is to try to find the CC dates in the original GSA holders.

My first entry in that subset (photo below) is not one of the "easy" ones, but I found a very nice coin at a very good price. This is an 1881-CC in the GSA holder, with the original box and certificate, and graded MS-65+ by NGC. I have to work on better photos but the coin looks fantastic.

13443.jpg

See more journals by CBC

What a beautiful Morgan CBC! I am a little biased, but I think the GSA set is one of the best sets to collect and if you want them get them now because they are disappearing into sets quickly!

It's difficult to even find beautiful high grade GSA's let alone be able to afford them if you can find any.

I started collecting the whole Morgan set, then became infatuated with the Carson City Morgans and soon I was just collecting GSA's. I'm really glad I did because not only are they more rare than we even know with thousands of coins cracked out of their GSA holders by dealers and collectors alike, but their values have steadily increased while the market for other coins have not.

I wish you all the best and if there is anything I can do to help you connect with any GSA coin you might be looking for don't hesitate to ask.

Happy Collecting!

Bo

Nice GSA! I've been adding them to my collection as well. Congrats on the nice find.

Prices on eBay are through the roof, but if you have patience you can pick up a deal here or there. I've found the auction houses to have better pricing at the moment.