• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADE POSTED -- 1941-D Mercury Dime

9 posts in this topic

I'm a sucker for coins with booming luster and die polish lines. Guess the grade on this one; it's in a newer PCGS pronged holder.

1941D_Mercury_Dime_PCGS_GTG_composite_zpsd3e55897.jpg

You need better lighting on the dark looking surfaces, which I am guessing are much lighter than portrayed. But I will guess MS66 FB.

MS-66, but just misses the Full Bans. I see weakness on the left side.

The weakness you are seeing is a smudge over the middle set of bands on the holder. I tried to buff it out, but to no avail. They are all there in hand.

I don't see the separation in the middle band. MS66. IMHO, based on the pics, no way FB. I also like the die polish lines.

Carl

As I already stated, there is a slab smudge over the middle bands.

I'm not a huge fan of axial photography, but sometimes it can "see through" scratches and other anomalies on the slab. Here is the reverse image photographed using axial lighting, and a zoom in of the middle bands.

1941D_Mercury_Dime_PCGS_GTG_reverse_axial_zpsdce0ea5d.jpg

1941D_Mercury_Dime_PCGS_GTG_bands_axial_zps655da808.jpg

I don't see the separation in the middle band. MS66. IMHO, based on the pics, no way FB. I also like the die polish lines.

Carl

As I already stated, there is a slab smudge over the middle bands.

I'm not a huge fan of axial photography, but sometimes it can "see through" scratches and other anomalies on the slab. Here is the reverse image photographed using axial lighting, and a zoom in of the middle bands.

1941D_Mercury_Dime_PCGS_GTG_reverse_axial_zpsdce0ea5d.jpg

1941D_Mercury_Dime_PCGS_GTG_bands_axial_zps655da808.jpg

Excellent photos. From the higher magnification photo, clearly this is not FB. What looks like a hit in the central upper band has merged the upper band into the lower band. The lower magnification photo gives an appearance of a split band. If the standard for attribution of FB is 5x then there is an argument for FB. Even though higher magnification shows the argument to be false.

Carl

Well, PCGS gave this one FB. Again for me, it was the die polish lines and crazy luster that sold this one to me.

1941D_Mercury_Dime_PCGS_MS66FB_composite_zps014025b2.jpg