• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this look original to you?

Originality  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Originality

37 posts in this topic

Stefanie, I like your token and it looks no where close to the coloration on the coin that I originally posted.

Are you sure? Mark Goodman doesn't play hocus-pocus with his images like the pictures from PCGS TrueView and CoinFacts.

I think the coin posted by coinman1794 is the perfect example of how a coin that looks normal head on can look completely different when angled. The garish and cartoonish original image you posted is completely useless for determining if the colors are NT, AT, or MA -- or what the grade of the coin might be.

The photos in the OP are pretty but represent what that proof 2 cent piece looks like at a specific angle with specific lighting. If you saw a slab photo of this exact same coin taken straight on, I bet almost everyone would say the coin is NT and has not been messed with. My opinion is that the coin has MA color and is not necessarily the result of MS70 application. That said, I would not buy a proof coin of this series without seeing it in hand first.

Looks like classic ammonia toning. I've seen proof copper look like this, and have both natural and unnatural looks; this one looks on the unnatural side to me.

Looks like classic ammonia toning. I've seen proof copper look like this, and have both natural and unnatural looks; this one looks on the unnatural side to me.

Are you referring to the coin I posted or the one coinman_23885 posted?