• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cert verification = Incomplete entry PF-65 BN?

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone else had a problem like this, the coin is a 1908 German pattern 25 pfennig in an old NGC fatty holder. Is this common for world coins in fatty holders or did I just happen to pick up an odd ball? I tried to take good pictures of the coin but it turns out looking completely black, but in hand the coin has very rich purple and blue toning! I put a picture of the label if that helps; also there is no population data for this coin? Any help or suggestions would be great!

germanpattern002_zps3441e301.jpg

• Administrator

When NGC graded this coin many years ago we did not designate the specific pattern variety (i.e. in the Schaaf reference). We now attribute these patterns automatically and each variety appears in the NGC Census. Your coin shows up as incomplete entry in cert verification because it does not have the full attribution. If you send the coin to NGC at my attention I'll get this put in a new holder with the full attribution at no charge.

When NGC graded this coin many years ago we did not designate the specific pattern variety (i.e. in the Schaaf reference). We now attribute these patterns automatically and each variety appears in the NGC Census. Your coin shows up as incomplete entry in cert verification because it does not have the full attribution. If you send the coin to NGC at my attention I'll get this put in a new holder with the full attribution at no charge.

Very cool to see such a quick answer from the powers that be...and with a great offer. Only downside would be losing the fatty holder......pros/cons, pros/cons ;)

Thank you Mr. Spiegel for the very good offer, however I would hate to lose the NGC old fatty holder. I have a difficult time tracking down world coins that I collect in old holders, is there any way I can keep the slab and receive an unofficial label with the attribution for my records alone?

• Administrator

Unfortunately I can't send out just a label for security reasons. If you prefer the coin in the old holder then I wouldn't worry about getting the attribution. If you need it added to a Registry set I'm sure we could help you if you provide high res photos.

I understand not being able to send out a label, there currently are no registry sets open for German pattern coins so at this time the attribution would be solely for the census data and for my own personal knowledge. I will try to take good pictures of this coin, but my photography skills are poor at best.

Coinsandmedals - there are some really great coin photography folks on the forum (MessyDesk, Kryptonitecoins, TomB, etc) who may be able to help you out, and their fees are nominal. Just a thought.

Max - would there be a way, once a good enough photo were submitted, to include that with a letter stating that the serial # "xxxxxxx-xxx" is the right attribution, etc?

Just a thought. I wouldn't want to lose the old slab either, if it were me, and if there was a way to get something like this done, I think that would be cool.

Really??? Shane that would be great, I intended to contact you after my newest submission comes in and see what the cost would be for you to image them for me. I have seen your work before and I think you do a great job! The help being offered on this topic is great, just another example of coin people helping coin people out, perhaps the best part of collecting is the interactions with fellow collectors!