• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG on this $5 Indian

17 posts in this topic

I assume it's a 14D but I can't tell exactly.

I'd grade it AU. Since it's an NGC I'll say 55 or 58...maybe less. I'm concerned though how they would evaluate the marks/hits. hm

jom

It is a 1914-D.

Keep the guesses coming...no one has it correct yet.

It is graded higher than all the guesses.

Thank You.

I am going to tell you something you probably won’t want to hear – I think the coin may have been puttied. It is very difficult to confirm that based on a photo however the cheek sure looks suspicious to me as does the different shades of yellow gold. I base this opinion on a puttied Indians that I once owned that were confirmed puttied by CAC. One was an MS61 the other MS 62 . Would really need to see it in hand.

One other note – I know that the strike on the Eagles wing top can be weak but that looks more than just a weak strike. If the coin is MS I think its over graded.

I am really curious to see what NGC graded this one.

Hint. It is not a branch-mint Proof. But if in your opinion, you can certainly market it as such!

I think the coin may have been puttied. It is very difficult to confirm that based on a photo however the cheek sure looks suspicious to me as does the different shades of yellow gold.

This was my first thought as well.

NGC graded it MS-60.

It is rare that I will disagree with a grade given based only on a photo but in this case I think NGC dropped that ball on this one. Price difference between AU and MS 60 is minimal.

I think the coin may have been puttied. It is very difficult to confirm that based on a photo however the cheek sure looks suspicious to me as does the different shades of yellow gold.

I would have guessed AU58 for the grade and see no indication of putty having been applied.

I don't see the hazy and/or discolored areas that I would expect from putty, which has turned. And the Indian's cheek merely looks flat, as is often or usually the case, even for uncirculated examples. So I don't understand why you gentlemen are suspicious.

I would have guessed AU58 for the grade and see no indication of putty having been applied.

I don't see the hazy and/or discolored areas that I would expect from putty, which has turned. And the Indian's cheek merely looks flat, as is often or usually the case, even for uncirculated examples. So I don't understand why you gentlemen are suspicious.

Maybe it's my monitor (or a poor interpretation of the less than ideal images), but my comments were based on what I perceived to be a discoloration, especially on the obverse devices. The discoloration did not seem to be from rub or any normal process. Also, it did look hazy towards the neck of the bust. I would appreciate any thoughts as to what I am missing. In the meantime, I am going to attempt to view this on another computer and with different lighting.

As always, I appreciate any critiques or insight. ;)

I had a MS 61 1911 D with a similar look – it was puttied. Based on the photos this coin looked suspicious – no way to really know unless you have the coin in hand. All my puttied Eagles were in PCGS holders.