• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Parsippany Coin Show Report

3 posts in this topic

Sunday was the monthly Parsippany Coin Show in NJ and I stopped by for the first time in a few months. I arrived around 11:30 and the bourse was busy. I did several laps around the floor to check out dealers’ cases. As is typical for a local show, there were only a few high-end dealers with quality merchandise; but I find it’s good to always look at a lot of coins, both good and bad (otherwise how do you learn).

I swung by Ankur’s table to talk with him about some coins I was planning to submit to CAC. I was guessing 8 of 9 would sticker and Ankur estimated 6-7. I guess we’ll see what JA thinks. I also got to see the now “famous” neon Bust Half and it’s quite a coin. In addition to the exceptional color it has a great rolling luster.

I’m always on the lookout for nicely toned commems for my type set but have never found one at Parsippany that I didn’t already own a nicer example of. I did notice more gem Ike’s than I have in the past – maybe the efforts of the Ike Group and CAC now stickering these coins have gotten dealers’ interest up?

I was speaking with another dealer who consistently has the best coins at the show in my opinion and asked him how business was. He said that selling has been easy but buying quality has gotten much harder. He said he put in what he thought were very strong bids at the last Heritage auction and was outbid on most coins. We then talked about how greysheet pricing on some issues and on PQ coins is way off and that you really have to look at the auction records – I’m wondering if, in this day and age with major auction records available freely online, the greysheet isn’t becoming obsolete, or at least much less important?

While I didn’t purchase anything, it’s always nice to speak with friendly dealers and collectors so it was a pleasant time.

Thanks for sharing.

I used to travel on business (Project Financial Controller) to Parsippany and always wondered what kind of show they had. My schedule never really gave me a chance to attend or set up.

I have wondered the same thing about the greysheet and you have a good point. However, its a much needed reference and infrastructure for me and I am hesitant to let it go. As I can access coin facts from my phone I research auction prices too on purchases.