• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG 1880 $5 Gold *New Pics*

26 posts in this topic

The has Mint State sharpness, but it appears to have been wiped with a light abrasive which gives it an unnatural shine on the lower portions of the obverse and reverse. I can't say much more than that from the photo. I'm reasonable certain that it is genuine, but not 100% because one needs to look at gold coins with a strong glass to spot surface anomalies.

That means that there is a 99.9% chance that it is genuine (even PCGS and NGC mess up on that on rare occasions), but it does not mean that it will cross to either service. I'm not a fan of the new ANACS. The old ANACS holdered some good coins in the proper grades more often than not.

Either Au 58 or MS 62 .

No and No. Nice try and thanks for your opinion.

You are funny – I give a range because there is no way from your picture an accurate guess can be made.

Based on the photo I don’t think it is better than Ms 62 .

Kill the suspense and post the grade.

To expand on what I wrote.

The look of that piece is not consistent with the surfaces created by die polishing. When the coin was stuck it had the frosty look that you see at the top of the coin. The was not a "two tone" piece with a frosty section and a brighter section. Since the brighter section does not look to be the original surface, I'd go with a light wipe, and it does grade it would be a high end AU, like 55 or 58.

Let me help. Here are some new pics.

IMG_0650_zps89fc8e12.jpg

IMG_0649_zps1607b2d2.jpg

IMG_0648_zps03c9debe.jpg

I've compared it to several NGC/PCGS $5 Libs and I think the grade is cross-able, so I think the assigned grade is accurate, but what do I know?

Because you said it was not Au 58 or MS 62 based on the new photo I have to give it Au 55 or at best MS 61. Unless the coin was MS 63 I don’t see any reason why you would want to spend the money on a cross. I would be very surprised if you came back and told us it graded MS 63.

I agree with Bill – I am not a fan of the new Anacs, however there were a lot of properly graded coins in the old holders.

I agree with Bill – I am not a fan of the new Anacs, however there were a lot of properly graded coins in the old holders.

That's what I said. This coin has be in a new ANACS holder because the plastic around it is clear. The old ANACS holders were white like the NGC holders.

Because you said it was not Au 58 or MS 62 based on the new photo I have to give it Au 55 or at best MS 61. Unless the coin was MS 63 I don’t see any reason why you would want to spend the money on a cross. I would be very surprised if you came back and told us it graded MS 63.

Mark. Relax, I will post the grade later today. This is an ANACS yellow holder.

And I agree with you about the old small holder ANACS holders, I am 100% in crossing them, but have not attempted with the others yet.

I think the yellow holders are a bit "dangerous" you can crack them with your hands right along the seam and if one wanted could easily put them back together again. I have cracked them for putting in my 7070 album only, but this one might get cracked go to NGC/PCGS, however I agree that it may not be worth the price.

Thanks for the spirited discussion, we all need some relief during these days especially before April 15th!

Mark. Relax, I will post the grade later today. This is an ANACS yellow holder.

And I agree with you about the old small holder ANACS holders, I am 100% in crossing them, but have not attempted with the others yet.

I think the yellow holders are a bit "dangerous" you can crack them with your hands right along the seam and if one wanted could easily put them back together again. I have cracked them for putting in my 7070 album only, but this one might get cracked go to NGC/PCGS, however I agree that it may not be worth the price.

Thanks for the spirited discussion, we all need some relief during these days especially before April 15th!

Relax ?? Are you serious ??

...would you be surprised if I suggest that it might be a proof???

Are you serious ??

Sadly, my guess is that he is serious.

Of course, either way, it is immediately obvious that the coin is not a Proof. Nothing about its appearance even hints at that.

There is nothing "sad" at all about my suggestion.

One can find sellers claiming their TPG coins are graded incorrectly and really should be proofs. I am not one of them and never had been. Nonetheless, I agree with the the professional graders at ANACS on the grade assigned.

Just adding some "spice" into this innocent GTG discussion. Nothing more. I will reveal the ANACS grade later today. This is not a high value coin, so don't get too excited about the grade.

Let's keep the GTG forum as a "fun" forum. At least that's my take on it.

Thank You.

Are you serious ??

Of course, either way, it is immediately obvious that the coin is not a Proof. Nothing about its appearance even hints at that.

Mark what would your grade guess be on this one ??

Are you serious ??

Mark what would your grade guess be on this one ??

Sorry, I meant to include that in my previous post, but forgot. I don't even know if ANACS uses the grade, but the coin looks like an MS61 to me.

There is no way that that coin is a Proof. It has none of the attributes.

Having said that, here is my concern about the surfaces and what may have been done to them. Compare the uniformaty of the surfaces on the coin we have been discussing and this 1861 half eagle in MS-62.

18615O.jpg18615R.jpg

Note that the luster uniform all over the the piece, not bright in one area and frosty in another.

There is no way that that coin is a Proof. It has none of the attributes.

Having said that, here is my concern about the surfaces and what may have been done to them. Compare the uniformaty of the surfaces on the coin we have been discussing and this 1861 half eagle in MS-62.

18615O.jpg18615R.jpg

Note that the luster uniform all over the the piece, not bright in one area and frosty in another.

Bill your insight is very much appreciated, but back up a couple posts.

Thanks.

From the second group of pictures, I think that the coin would be at least "market acceptable" if you sent it in to PCGS or NGC. It may have had a minor wipe, but I don't see it as somthing that would prevent it from getting a grade, at least from what I see in those images.