• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conder Token Research

7 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

I am currently researching my growing collection of Conders and was wondering if anyone has good sources on the diesinkers, manufacturers and mintages of these wonderful tokens? So far I have found a good writeup on those produced by Bolton (it's suprisingly a short list) and only a smattering of data on others ... any suggestions?

Thanks,

Wendy

There's plenty of literature on Conder tokens to supplement the "thumbnail" descriptions in the introduction to each chapter of D&H. Here's Bill McKivor's list of references under 18th century tokens.

McKivor references

My favorites are the 5 R.C.Bell's books (which drew heavily on Samuel's Bazaar, Exchange and Mart articles). Each book covers a different segment of the Conder series. They pop up on Ebay as well as dealer inventories on a regular basis.

http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v06n39a05.html

Bob

Another good reference is Arthur Waters "Note on 18th Century Tokens" published in 1954. Some real good background on many pieces including engravers, manufacturers, and in many case mintages. If not of an individual token then of the group of similar tokens which allows rough mintages to be estimated. Problem is it is not the easiest book to find, and a little pricey when you do find a copy. Not as bad as Samuel's Bazaar but steep for as small as it is. OK I see that McKivor does list it in his references

For interesting books that will help you understand the times and what was going on, try The Soho mint and the Industrialization of money by Richard Doty, and

Good Money: Birmingham Button Makers, the Royal Mint, and the Beginnings of Modern Coinage, 1775-1821 by George Selgin. Entertaining reads that will give you a good understanding of the economics of the time which explain why the tokens exist. Amazon has copies of Good Money at an great price right now. Looks like one seller must have gotten ahold of a case and he has new hardbounds for $20. next cheapest for a new hardbound is $65.

Good Money is a Great Read! Explores how minting money in these times in the UK was developing in hand with the industrial revolution and James Watt's steam engine. as well as the politics behind minting good money and why there was a token explosion, which of course is good for us now as Conder collectors. Good rec Conder 101.

Best, HT

"The Token Book" by Galata is mostly concerned with Conder token values but contains other useful info as well including excellent photos. I purchased my copy from Bill McKivor.

Besides the literature, there are several places to find images of a lot of nice Conder tokens.

Dr. Sriro's CD

Gary Groll's and Bill McKivor's website

Jerry Bobbe's (Cheapside Coins) site with images of over 1800 sold items

The Noble, Spence, Brown and Spingarn catalogues