• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: 1936 NGC MS63 PL Buffalo Nickel

36 posts in this topic

a misattrubuted proof? they would be worth over $1K

how much you willing to pay for this?

-or any other that gets the NGC PL designation?

It depends on the date, grade, and quality of the coin. With this said, if someone could get me a quality designated specimen, I would make it worth their time. So far NGC has only certified one, but I am sure that there are probably a few others waiting to be slabbed and/or designated.

I would expect a genuine PL to go for well over $1k. At least, that's where I would start my bid, and evaluate how high to go based on how the coin looked.

I would expect a genuine PL to go for well over $1k. At least, that's where I would start my bid, and evaluate how high to go based on how the coin looked.

i doubt it, it seems like PL anything is not worth much at all except to a few people. none of my rare PL sold and any offers i got were very low. i don't see how this one would be an exception

i doubt it, it seems like PL anything is not worth much at all except to a few people. none of my rare PL sold and any offers i got were very low. i don't see how this one would be an exception

Z

What do you have and is it still for sale? PM me.

Nick

PM me with any PL items you may have for sale.

Thank You.

Not to knock your stuff (we talked about your coins via PM - including the demand for them and the prices you should expect to get) - but saying that a PL Buff won't get a strong price just because your PL Franklin and Kennedy didn't get strong prices is ridiculous. That's like saying a 95 Morgan wouldn't get strong prices just because your 78S didn't get the offer you were hoping for.

The PL market is very strong right now, actually. I keep getting blown out of the water on a lot of the pieces that I want. I don't know if its because I keep publicizing them, or if people are finally starting to realize what they are, or what? But a PL Buff would definitely turn heads - and would go for a very strong price.

Not to knock your stuff (we talked about your coins via PM - including the demand for them and the prices you should expect to get) - but saying that a PL Buff won't get a strong price just because your PL Franklin and Kennedy didn't get strong prices is ridiculous. That's like saying a 95 Morgan wouldn't get strong prices just because your 78S didn't get the offer you were hoping for.

The PL market is very strong right now, actually. I keep getting blown out of the water on a lot of the pieces that I want. I don't know if its because I keep publicizing them, or if people are finally starting to realize what they are, or what? But a PL Buff would definitely turn heads - and would go for a very strong price.

I agree with Jason's observations and they match up with my observations at auction. I saw your auctions, but thought that you priced your materials strongly even for what other PL pieces were selling for. They were admittedly nice coins, however.

well if anyone wants to make offer on mine they can be seen in my other posts but i have 3 nice ones:

1959-p franklin MS65PL tied with one other, finest known

1968-d kennedy half MS63PL, stand alone finest known

1946-s washington quarter MS64PL one graded higher

Population data, notwithstanding, I don't think a common date MS63 PL Buffalo would fetch anywhere close to $1000.

Population data, notwithstanding, I don't think a common date MS63 PL Buffalo would fetch anywhere close to $1000.

One member has already offered 1000 as a starting price. I believe he is quite serious.

While this is an extreme example, the rarities are similar: Did you expect this 1934D MS64 PL Peace dollar to go for over $8k? http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1173&lotNo=4226

I think $8k is ridiculously high for that Peace (I maxed my bid at $2500), but I would not be surprised to see the Buffernick in question to go for a very large sum.

While this is an extreme example, the rarities are similar: Did you expect this 1934D MS64 PL Peace dollar to go for over $8k? http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1173&lotNo=4226

I think $8k is ridiculously high for that Peace (I maxed my bid at $2500), but I would not be surprised to see the Buffernick in question to go for a very large sum.

Actually, that is exactly what I thought the 34-D dollar would bring.

OK, maybe not.  :devil: 

At approximately $8000, the dollar brought roughly 14 times the ($575) Numismedia price for a non PL example. Using that same premium for an MS63 1936 Buffalo nickel (listed at $41.25 in Numismedia) would result in a price of approximately $577. And that's applying the premium from "an extreme example", for a coin type which I think would be more popular than a Buffalo nickel.

I don't know if its because I keep publicizing them, or if people are finally starting to realize what they are, or what?

I don't think so. The goal or idea of doing a PL type set is not new. I had toyed with the idea of doing a prooflike set more than a decade ago, and there were dealers who regularly sold the material and advertised/drew special attention to it, implying, at least to me, that there must have been some demand even then (and judging by the prices relative to non-PL coins, I would say that the PL market wasn't hurting then either). Unfortunately, I became frustrated early on because I could not get very far on my limited budget at the time (I was only 12- 13). I fortunately have more disposable income and want to pursue this idea.

With this said, I will admit that I did fall in love with your PL Braided Hair Half Cent, and that it did remind me of my interest in this particular niche. I doubt this is the case with others, however, and I suspect that there have been individuals who have sought these coins out for years. In short, I don't think your posts have altered the market or the demand for them in any significant way.

Kenny, it may just be coincidence, but the PL market definitely seems stronger than when I started collecting them a couple of years ago. I think the coin market as a whole has gotten stronger though, so that may be the cause.

I am extremely proud to have a couple of coins which are unique for their series. The half cent you mention is one, and my DMPL Seated Quarter is another. I am trying to build a world-class set - but my current budget is proving limiting as well. I'm finding that I have to sell coins from other sets to pay for PL purchases. This is a trade I'm very willing to do, however, given how excited I am about this set.

Kenny, it may just be coincidence, but the PL market definitely seems stronger than when I started collecting them a couple of years ago. I think the coin market as a whole has gotten stronger though, so that may be the cause.

I am extremely proud to have a couple of coins which are unique for their series. The half cent you mention is one, and my DMPL Seated Quarter is another. I am trying to build a world-class set - but my current budget is proving limiting as well. I'm finding that I have to sell coins from other sets to pay for PL purchases. This is a trade I'm very willing to do, however, given how excited I am about this set.

a world class set needs the finest known 1968-d kennedy ms63pl and the tied for finest known 1959-p franklin ms65pl :)

Those looking to build a prooflike set will not care what the numismedia value is. They will care that there is only one known.

True. But that doesn't mean the "value" would be anywhere close to $1000.

I was presented with a real life example of a premium realized for an MS64 PL 1934-D dollar. And I merely responded that a similar "extreme" premium for an MS63 PL 1936 nickel would place it at less than $600.

And that is entirely possible, Mark. The only real way to know is to see it at auction. I'm just saying that I would probably be willing to go to $1k and beyond, if necessary.

And that is entirely possible, Mark. The only real way to know is to see it at auction. I'm just saying that I would probably be willing to go to $1k and beyond, if necessary.

Jason, thanks for killing any chance that I had at picking one up at the price suggested by Mark and others. ;) Never play your cards before the end of the hand. :)

Regardless, I am still looking and interested. Show me what you have. I prefer a designated example, but would consider semi-PL non-designated examples (the latter obviously being worth significantly less than a designated fully PL piece).

Fair enough, Jason and I understand. Best of luck with the hunt.

BTW, I currently have a lead on the PL Buff, and am working on tracking it down. I'll let y'all know if I'm successful.

Did you get the lead as a result of this thread? ???lol

No, but this thread motivated me to start looking for it.