• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any Buff Nickels exist in PL?

13 posts in this topic

Yes, they are one of the most difficult PL type coins that exist, but there are a handful or so. If you look in the NGC census, you'll see a full accounting of the NGC examples that are known to exist.

Wondering if these exist.

Thank You

Yes, but they are rare and there are only a couple graded. I handled an undesignated 1936 Prooflike in NGC MS66 several years ago.

These P-L Buffalos must have been in the later years of the series, like the 1930s. In the teens, it seems to me that the mint made an effort to put a satin finish on their coins. It went with the numismatic art tastes at the time that frowned on "shiny coins," which undermined the viewer's enjoyment of the artists' design. In the 1920s so many Buffalo nickels were struck with such wretched dies that it sometimes seems hard to believe that the dies were ever new.

So I'm guessing the PL's are from the later Proof dies that ended up being used for circulation strikes? If true, that would mean those that exist would be from Philly dies. Or are there any MM examples? I want one, what do they sell for?

Thank You.

From 1913 forward, the mint gradually reduced the radius and field surface to an even, smooth radius. In about 1930, the field was evenly curved and smooth which allowed repairs to be made on the entire field, instead of individual areas of the die. It was the abrasive resurfacing of a die that produced semi-mirror fields.

[see: “From Mine to Mint” for lots of details on die repair, polishing, etc.]

Wondering if these exist.

Thank You

I have not seen one designated as such on a slab, but would have to agree with the other poster who mentioned that they do exist. I've seen some very, very convincing prooflike buffalo nickels from the late 1930s.

The NGC census shows a single 1936 MS63 PL and no other PL Buffalo Nickels, which if my memory serves me correctly, is lower than it was previously. I thought when I viewed the population reports a couple of months ago there were 3-5 examples known.

I've never seen or heard of a fully PL NGC designated example. I've seen a few that were semi-PL, but not full. I've seen one that was Star designated for its semi-prooflikeness, but that's it (and it wasn't for sale - I tried).

These P-L Buffalos must have been in the later years of the series, like the 1930s. In the teens, it seems to me that the mint made an effort to put a satin finish on their coins. It went with the numismatic art tastes at the time that frowned on "shiny coins," which undermined the viewer's enjoyment of the artists' design. In the 1920s so many Buffalo nickels were struck with such wretched dies that it sometimes seems hard to believe that the dies were ever new.

That staunch resistance to reflective fields went out the window in 1934, when coins from various mints started appearing with a very unusual canvas pattern of micro-fine striations that lead to highly reflective, mirrored fields, and sometimes lightly cameo devices. This was not a standard finish, but it seems to have been widespread. In 1954, this affect completely dissapeared from coinage. It is very possible, indeed factual, that coins form the late '30s are found in Prooflike.

If you want an elusive coin in PL, try to find a SLQ with even semi-PL surfaces.

NGC has graded 44,304 SLQs, with zero designated as PL and only 115 with the coveted ★ (of those with the ★, superior luster or eye appealing color are likely the reason, not semi-PL surfaces). Not to mention that the SLQ was never minted as a proof, so you can't just substitute a proof coin for the "look".

The Standing Liberty quarter was intentionally designed to appear satiny and never PL because some of the designers grew to despise the PL finish on coins they were seeing in circulation in the late 1890s and early 1900s.