• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1825 CBH

16 posts in this topic

The sharpness grade is EF-AU, but the coin appears to little or no luster, and it looks like the fields may have rubbed to give that that light gray - darker gray look. The overall color does not look natural. But I must say that a different picture at a different angle could lead me to another conclusion.

As to the Overton variety I'll pass. Once you get by 1810 or so determining the differences between them kind of gives me a headach. That why I don't collect these to coins in any depth.

Cleaned, with details of (approximately) an AU 50 example.

You seem to post about a fairly high percentage of problem coins. Either that, or your posts about problem-free coins have escaped my attention.

You seem to post about a fairly high percentage of problem coins. Either that, or your posts about problem-free coins have escaped my attention.

I'm grateful to you and to other forum members for the education process that I'm going through with respect to grading and evaluating coins.

I don't post much in the way of problem-free coins, mostly because I already know what their grade is and that they are also problem-free.

I hope this helps.

I'm grateful to you and to other forum members for the education process that I'm going through with respect to grading and evaluating coins.

I don't post much in the way of problem-free coins, mostly because I already know what their grade is and that they are also problem-free.

I hope this helps.

It does, thank you. And I'm glad to hear it - now I won't worry about you ;)

I hope this helps.

You're welcome and thanks Mark; no need to worry. ;)

I usually post marginal examples, where I need extra opinions in order to determine a subjective aggregate. In the case of obvious problem coins, I'm usually just wanting opinions on a technical grade--independent of the problem(s) which may exist in the piece.

For example, with this piece, I was curious whether folks would give it technically EF or AU details.

It is my sincere hope that I am not misusing the forum resources for this approach?

I hope this helps.

I usually post marginal examples, where I need extra opinions in order to determine a subjective aggregate. In the case of obvious problem coins, I'm usually just wanting opinions on a technical grade--independent of the problem(s) which may exist in the piece.

For example, with this piece, I was curious whether folks would give it technically EF or AU details.

It is my sincere hope that I am not misusing the forum resources for this approach?

I see nothing wrong, whatsoever, with that approach. But even if I did, it would be my problem, not yours. :D

I hope this helps.

I see nothing wrong, whatsoever, with that approach. But even if I did, it would be my problem, not yours. :D

Thanks Mark, I appreciate it, as well as all of the expertise you have provided to me and others here on the board.

Looks to be O-117. On the Reverse is there a small lump on the lower right side of stripe 1? Lump would be between stripe 1 and 2 bottom of shield. Looks like it to me but can't be sure from the pics. On the Obverse is the stand of the 5 recut? Also are there horizontal die lines under the bust to the left of date? Again, looks like there are but I can't be positive based on the pics.

If yes to all questions then it is O-117.

IMO grades AU cleaned.

Carl

Looks to be O-117. On the Reverse is there a small lump on the lower right side of stripe 1? Lump would be between stripe 1 and 2 bottom of shield. Looks like it to me but can't be sure from the pics. On the Obverse is the stand of the 5 recut? Also are there horizontal die lines under the bust to the left of date? Again, looks like there are but I can't be positive based on the pics.

IMO grades AU cleaned.

Carl

Thanks Carl.

How rare is this particular variety?

IMO grades AU cleaned.

Carl

Thanks Carl.

O-117 is a R-4. Were the diagnostics I listed present?

Carl

IMO grades AU cleaned.

Carl

Thanks Carl.

I'm not sure. Do these images give you enough information?

IMG_7114_crop_1.jpg

IMG_7109_crop_1.jpg

Or do you need more detail?

IMO grades AU cleaned.

Carl

Thanks Carl.

I'm not sure. Do these images give you enough information?

IMG_7114_crop_1.jpg

IMG_7109_crop_1.jpg

Or do you need more detail?

No more detail needed. O-117. Do you see the die line under the bust? Raised line just above the hit that is left of the date in your second pic. The 5 in the date also shows re cutting on the stand. On the Reverse, note the diagonally raised area at the bottom of the shield between stripe 1 and 2. That is the die defect lump diagnostic.

Carl

Thanks for all of the information, Carl... much appreciated!

A couple of naïve questions: What/where is the "stand" in the 5? What is meant by "recut?"

I'm not sure if I can see the diagonally raised area at the bottom of the shield between stripe 1 and 2. Can you download the image and place an arrow pointing to the diagnostic and repost it?