• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG! by secure plus scan. 1887 PR Morgan

8 posts in this topic

Can you guess the grade on this proof morgan? I realized I sucked at taking pictures, so I let the TPG True View service do it for me. Until that comes in, here's the scure plus scan.

1887_zps7c54ce1c.png

Proof-62, with a possible Cameo. The piece appears to have dulled fields from dipping or cabinet friction. The devices appeat to have the cameo contrast, but that designation seems to be applied inconsistently.

I have an 1883 Proof Morgan dollar that shows clear contrast, but did not get a cameo. Conversely I have an 1869 Proof Seated Dollar that shows very little contrast that has it. (shrug) When I look a coins at the shows I see the same inconsistencies.

Impossible to tell from SecurePlus scans. These are not "pictures", they are scans of the surface of the coin to create the SecurePlus "fingerprint". In general, the quality of these is meant only to allow you to verify that you have the same coin as pictured (based on tick marks, toning, etc). They are not intended to be faithful images of the way the coin looks in hand.

Impossible to tell from SecurePlus scans. These are not "pictures", they are scans of the surface of the coin to create the SecurePlus "fingerprint". In general, the quality of these is meant only to allow you to verify that you have the same coin as pictured (based on tick marks, toning, etc). They are not intended to be faithful images of the way the coin looks in hand.

Maybe that is the problem. To me the Proof mirrors like hazy and unappealing in that picture.

In hand the mirrors remind me of the old antique mercury mirrors. Definite way beyond a ms pl appearance. Hint: I did not receive a cameo grade...:(

I see numerous hairlines, which are pretty much par for the course for 19th century proof coins. Unfortunately, you have to buy a gem proof or better if you want a hairline free coin.

I'll wager a straight PF62.

You can substitute the word "images" for "SecurePlus scans".

It is usually impossible to provide meaningful grade guesses for Proof coins, based upon images. I'm sure that many of you, the original poster included, have heard me play that broken record before.