• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If 'Improperly Cleaned', with it still get a grade #? And do you pay?

2 posts in this topic

I was thinking of sending in some early 1900 era coins and some 1800 era coins but I'm not sure if they were cleaned or anything.

If I was to send them in would they just get encapsulated in a case with the 'improperly cleaned' or such detail or can it still get a grade # but will be lower? Also, is the fee still paid to you if its not able to get a grade # ?

• Administrator

Thanks for the question. If a coin is improperly cleaned it would be holdered with an "NGC Details" grade along with the "Improperly Cleaned" notation on the label. An example of a details grade would be "Fine Details." You can learn more about NGC Details grading here.

Improperly Cleaned coins are not eligible for numeric grading. You would pay the same grading fee regardless of whether the coin was numerically or details graded.