• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1898-O Morgan....can you spot the common strike mint mark?

9 posts in this topic

I know I don't know because I don't collect or study in any great detail VAM varieties, but obviously the mint mark at the bottom is tilted to the right. I hope that this piece is at least among the "Top 100" which got the VAM really started about a decade ago.

Well since your the only one to guess and im eager to vent my fustration with the grade or lack there of. The tilted "O" came back run of the mill everyday ms63O. And the tilted O is just the start. There doubling all over this coin and it got credited for nothing. Im new to coins on this level of collecting so im sorry if im wrong or sound like a noob but i think that this coin deserves at least a " tilted O " notation. I also have a 1999O also tilted that was graded at the same time as this one and it also came back just a ms63... I dont get it...

I agree with Johnny. If you don't pay for Variety Plus service, you don't get Variety Plus attributions. And if I understand it correctly, if you submit a coin for Variety Plus and list the wrong attribution, they will not correct it for you. I could be wrong, but that's the way I understand it as written in the Variety Plus Service submission tier.

But the 2nd mint mark appears to be a "High O/Tilted Right" VAM. I'm not sure of the number right off hand but I do know that if it's not a Top-100 or a Hot-50 VAM, you wont get the attribution on the label if submitted under Variety Plus.

Go to VAMWorld.com

They have all the Morgan and Peace Dollar VAMS for each year and mint mark. It's a great resource tool to use when checking for VAMs. And the Variety Plus section on the NGC website shows what varieties they will accept under the Variety Plus service.