• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Story of the Marshall House "almost" Civil War token

10 posts in this topic

On another thread collectors have been discussing a reproduction of the Confederate cent that was issued by the Smithsonian Institute. Here is about as close as I'll ever get to a Confederate cent, other than one of the Brashlow "restrikes" that I bought for $6 back in the 1980s. This piece was issued by the Marshal House hotel which was located in Alexandria, Virginia.

MarshallHouseO.jpgMarshallHouseR.jpg

In early 1861 Elmer Ellsworth, who was a protégé of Abraham Lincoln (He read the law for a short time in Lincoln's law office.) spotted a Confederate flag flying over the roof of the hotel. Ellsworth bounded up the stairs in the hotel to tear it down. On his way down with his prize he ran into the owner, a man named Jackson, with a shotgun who proceeded to given Ellsworth both barrels. Another Union soldier promptly dispatched Mr. Jackson to his reward.

The death of Elmer Ellsworth affected Abraham Lincoln deeply. Lincoln had known and respected the young man, and felt that he had a great future. Ellsworth was the first Union officer to die in the Civil War, and his death was noted in many pictures including this Civil War envelope cover.

MarshallHouseEnv.jpg

The obverse portrait, "Minerva," was a very common effigy at the time.

Having just moved to California, I learned very recently that it is Minerva on the state seal. I guess I had always assumed it was Liberty, just as I would have assumed for this common obverse on civil war tokens.

Good to have my facts straight!

Thanks for the history Bill :)

The obverse portrait, "Minerva," was a very common effigy at the time.

Having just moved to California, I learned very recently that it is Minerva on the state seal. I guess I had always assumed it was Liberty, just as I would have assumed for this common obverse on civil war tokens.

Good to have my facts straight!

Thanks for the history Bill :)

Yes, here is Minerva on the San Diego commemorative half dollar. She is on the Pac-Pac $50 gold pieces as well.

SanDiegoO-1_zpsf9642357.jpgSanDiegoR-1_zpsf24a2e63.jpg

Thanks for posting those pictures, Zoins! (thumbs u

You're welcome Bill. It's great to read and learn more about history from that time.

It's interesting that the city of Alexandria had been captured by Union forces at the time but Captain James William Jackson was still flying the Confederate flag, apparently enjoying the fact that it could be seen by Lincoln. It also adds to the history to note that Ephraham E. Ellsworth was a Union Colonel and that one of his men, Private Brownell received The Medal of Honor in 1877 for firing on Captain Jackson.

Very interesting times back then and it's cool that coins, photos, and engravings can bring it alive for us.