• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paypal "gift" has become "friends and family"....Hmm

7 posts in this topic

I just noticed that Paypal no longer offers the "gift" option. Instead, there is a friends and family option that functions the same way as long as you are sending funds from your Paypal balance or bank account. Send from your CC and you absorb the fee, not the receiver.

I know there was a lot of heated discussion regarding (ethical, legal, moral, blah blah whatever) practices a week or so ago. With this change in wording, does anyone's opinion change about what is "right"?

Personally, I don't think I see any issue with sending funds to a friend via the "friends and family" option in exchange for a coin. I reserve the right to change my opinion of course, but I'm curious what others think.

Friends can be a loose term.

If I trust you not to rip me off then I would consider you a "friend". If I don't know you well enough to trust you I pay the fee and gain the protection from Paypal.

Friends can be a loose term.If I trust you not to rip me off then I would consider you a "friend"

Should be no problem, if they rip you off, you can retaliate by unfriending them.

I just noticed that Paypal no longer offers the "gift" option. Instead, there is a friends and family option that functions the same way as long as you are sending funds from your Paypal balance or bank account. Send from your CC and you absorb the fee, not the receiver.

I know there was a lot of heated discussion regarding (ethical, legal, moral, blah blah whatever) practices a week or so ago. With this change in wording, does anyone's opinion change about what is "right"?

Personally, I don't think I see any issue with sending funds to a friend via the "friends and family" option in exchange for a coin. I reserve the right to change my opinion of course, but I'm curious what others think.

My guess is that sooner or later, if they haven't already, mighty Paypal will define for all of us precisely what is a "Friend", since mere American citizens like us aren't really capable of doing that for ourselves. What is "friendship" in Paypal legalese gibberish hm I wonder....

Next steps will be requiring proof of familial relationship (birth certificates, tax returns) to be considered family, and a connection with Facebook to be friends, whereby not only will you be able to notify the world who you sent money to, but PP will be able to post recommendations as to which of your friends you should send more money to, using your credit card.

This is no more ridiculous than some of the other news I've read this week.