• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spontaneous, sort of blind PF68 Quarter eBay purchase

14 posts in this topic

I don't know anything about quarters, proof quarters, cameos etc., so I'm not sure if this was an ok deal or not. It wasn't expensive, and I have 0 quarters. I spent about $72 on it. I was looking around at other examples, and this one looked better than some of the PF68 star examples. Maybe it was just his photos that made it look better? I also took a gamble on the toning. I have no idea what it might look like in hand. Sorry for the horrible seller pics :) In your opinion, and I like all types, do you think I should have held on to my $72 for a different quarter, or is this an ok example (from what you can see)? I've tried to learn my lesson and not really buy coins if I can't see the pic too well, but I figured with this one...why not

56proof.jpg

56proof2.jpg

Thanks. Question about these slabs.... if you know. Is it the label that causes the toning on some of these old slabs? I heard someone mention that somewhere. I believe it was one of the reasons for the line that now separates the label and coin. That could be off.

Is it the label that causes the toning on some of these old slabs? I heard someone mention that somewhere. I believe it was one of the reasons for the line that now separates the label and coin.

Correct!

What are the changes in standards? I'll post a pic when I get it. I'm thinking a pic with this coin will be tough though. I can't even shoot a Morgan :)

Blive, the standards were a bit weak in the earlier days. There could be a bit of shine in the frost, there could be weak mirrors as long as the contrast was strong. Today, the mirrors pretty much have to be glass like with little to no shine in the frost. And that's just for cameo.

I don't know anything about quarters, proof quarters, cameos etc., so I'm not sure if this was an ok deal or not. It wasn't expensive, and I have 0 quarters. I spent about $72 on it. I was looking around at other examples, and this one looked better than some of the PF68 star examples. Maybe it was just his photos that made it look better? I also took a gamble on the toning. I have no idea what it might look like in hand. Sorry for the horrible seller pics :) In your opinion, and I like all types, do you think I should have held on to my $72 for a different quarter, or is this an ok example (from what you can see)? I've tried to learn my lesson and not really buy coins if I can't see the pic too well, but I figured with this one...why not

56proof.jpg

56proof2.jpg

" ...do you think I should have held on to my $72 for a different quarter, or is this an ok example (from what you can see)?"

Based on your comments that:

1) "I don't know anything about quarters, proof quarters, cameos etc., so I'm not sure if this was an ok deal or not"

2) "Maybe it was just his photos that made it look better"

3) "I also took a gamble on the toning"

4) "I have no idea what it might look like in hand"

Can you guess what my thoughts are regarding whether it was wise to purchase the coin? ;)