• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Regrade and "star"

2 posts in this topic

In regards to submitting a coin for regrade. My question is, Does the star designation follow the coin. Say I have a coin graded MS66* that I send in for regrade and NGC grades it at MS67, Will it now be an MS67*. Since the star represents eye appeal and the coin has the same eye appeal I would expect the star to be put back on the holder even if the grader this time around did not star the coin.

Roosie,

Good question. Please keep in mind that the NGC Star designation is the most subjective of all of the designations assigned by NGC.

During the regrade process, each coin is re-evaluated for its merits from scratch. While there is the remote possibility that a “star” designation could be removed in the regrade process, the overwhelming majority of “star” designated coins will be retained due to their exceptional eye appeal which transcends the grade boundaries.

Rick