• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nickels and FS

10 posts in this topic

Is there certain criteria that a coin has to have before it can be designated FS? If a person sent in a proof that had full steps would that count or does it have to be MS?

Proof Jefferson Nickels are excluded when it comes to the FS designation. MS-60 or better will be designated with a minimum of at least five complete steps that must appear on Monticello. Any steps that join or fuse together, whether created that way or subsequently damaged, cannot be considered for the Full Steps designation.

NGC will quantify the number of FS steps present, be it 5 or 6

PCGS just utilizes the FS letter code.

I'd say MS. All proofs should have steps.

This. All proof coins are assumed to have full steps; if not, the proof is inferior anyway. Having a full steps proof Jefferson is expected and it is nothing special.

The discussion on the Variety Nickels website has one of the best discusssions on whether a nickel is full step or not.

Link to discussion of full steps

I am also in agreement that Proof Nickels do not have the Full Step designstion except for the SMS coins.

Doug

Nice article, and very informative. Thanks for sharing!

I am looking at a 66 SMS that has Full Steps on it as well and was trying to decipher the value. The best I could come up with is like @fusiafinch said and they jsut treat that as MS and whatever grade it gets along with the FS but I noticed it only listed 6 FS and not 5.

Anyway I have two 66 SMS's and I was thinking about sending the one in with the FUll Steps in it.

Thanks for the info and article link.

Yeah that is a very nice example of 6 steps. Time to send it back in for designation? Why did they not attribute that in the first place? Or are you saying that you were just going back and reviewing your Jefferson?

I had forgot but I had already sent in my 1966 for the grade. I guess I actually have two with FS but I think the one I sent in was closer to 6 steps like yours.