• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1889o Morgan help for a newbie

11 posts in this topic

Hi Guys.

I am totally new here and new to coin collecting in general. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this coin should be sent away for grading. I bought it as hand written choice bu and ms 64. I am including some terrible picks so please excuse but maybe I will get some feedback negative or positive. Can someone tell me how to upload pics here...I don't have them in a url format..they are just saved as pick files.

Thanks

Just attach them as files at the bottom of your post template frame. Look for File Manager. I think they have to be 200K or smaller for that to work.

That's one way. ;)

Welcome to the forum.

Based on the images, my grade guess would be MS63 or lower (due to what looks to be noticeable disturbances on Liberty's cheek). But even at the MS64 grade level, I don't think the coin would merit the cost of grading.

Am I reading the price guide correctly to say that it is a considerable difference in price for ms 63 and ms 64 morgan o 1889? Sorry for my lack of knowledge as I am new but do appreciate the help

My apologies - I completely missed the mintmark doh!

It is probably worth having graded if it will garner a grade of MS62 or better. Unfortunately, I can't tell that from the images.

Sorry but the photos are too blurry to make any sort of an educated call on this one. The Gray Sheet prices do go up on the 1889-O as you go up the scale:

MS-60 $150

MS-63 $310

MS-64 $800

The one thing I will warn you about is that the services tend to get conservative when you have big price jumps from one point to the next.

The one thing I will warn you about is that the services tend to get conservative when you have big price jumps from one point to the next.

That is just not right for that to happen.

It would seem to me if they know the book values that well they probably know who's coin they are looking at and probably even verbally compare grades. Why they would be concerned with the prices and considering them when grading; why that would be no more than essentially skewing the promulgated claims to impartiality.

It would seem to me if they know the book values that well they probably know who's coin they are looking at and probably even verbally compare grades. Why they would be concerned with the prices and considering them when grading; why that would be no more than essentially skewing the promulgated claims to impartiality.

I disagree. Although the graders are not allowed to participate in the commetcial buying and selling of coins, I think that they are allowed to stay up to date on current market values. I think what BillJones was trying to say is that the TPGs get more conservative on higher valued coins so that the coins are not overgraded or assigned a grade that the coin is not worthy of. I think the higher valued or rare date/mintmark coins should be scrutinized more than common dates or mintmarks.

I have seen a great many coins receive grades which were at, instead of below the "big price jump" level.

And as a former grader of seven years, I can tell you that having an idea as to a coin's value at various grade levels, has absolutely nothing to do with knowing whose coin is being graded or impartiality.

They are concerned because they don't want thing bouncing back at them for an "It's an over graded claim." When an over grade involves a common date coin where a one point difference doesn't mean enough to pursue it, they tend to be more liberal. This was one of the complaints about the inconsistencies in grading common date St. Gaudens $20 gold pieces.

Also many of the common date coins are sent in by dealers for bulk grading, which is done for a discounted price. I've seen many items that were more than likely bulk graded where the real grades were all over the place. For example a dealer I know sent in a bunch of Sacagawea dollars for bulk grading for reasons I could not comprehend. On occasion the results were better coins in MS-64 holders than MS-66 holders. It looked like the graders did not spend a lot of time with those pieces, perhaps out of boredom.