• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey Morgan Guys... What about this toning...

14 posts in this topic

My guess is that the coins don't look anything like the photos. It is apparent that the seller has difficulty with numismatic photography. The white balance is off. There are hot spots and dark spots everywhere. The orange at 11-12 o'clock appears to be a reflection of a camera light. The horizontal pink/white areas on the coins are reflections of the lens or frame of the camera.

While some of the toning patterns appear the same, the coins all have different submission numbers. Personally, the toning patterns don't seem very attractive and I wouldn't even consider buying those coins. That said, I don't think there is anything fishy going on here. I think the photos are making the coins look more alike than they really are.

My personal opinion is that they are painfully ugly. Seriously, the images make my eyes strain! That being said, I wonder if those are some sort of really weird images. Maybe the coins look better in-hand....

Because I don't trust the images, I can't address the issue of proper/improper toning.

Take a look at the photos again, specifically the reverse. I do believe I see the reflection of an amber light being used to photograph the coins. If that's the case, there's your culprit.

A side from the photography issue, I think that they are all ugly except for the 1886. I would call that one "passable." But yes, the light might be making them appear to be more yellow than they really are, and even if the white balance problem were to be fixed, I don't think that these dollars are very attractive.

I agree with all that there is a fine line between attractive toning and ratty looking coins. My personal opinion is these are pretty ratty looking coins with the exception of the one Joe posted. From the picture it has much more even toning.

I agree with all that there is a fine line between attractive toning and ratty looking coins. My personal opinion is these are pretty ratty looking coins with the exception of the one Joe posted. From the picture it has much more even toning.

+1

You guys think that the amber light is causing this "look" on the coins ?

Did anyone look at this other coin photos ? That doesnt seem to be an issue...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-NGC-AU-58-1890-S-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-FREE-S-H-2-022-/350749142228?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item51aa472cd4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-NGC-AU-55-1881-S-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-FREE-S-H-2-007-/230951842988?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item35c5cd74ac

Its amazing to me that everyone just accepts a toned Morgan in TPG plastic without ever even questioning the NT/AT of the toning.

As for them being ugly... yes I think we can all agree on that but that wasnt my question.

I dont know toning on Morgans - I was asking if there is a toning source that could produce these same toning patterns on 4 different years...(especially a 1921)

That seems suspicious to me. This toning doesnt look like bag toning, album toning or envelope toning.

As for them having different submission numbers - that actually makes sense. If all 4 of these coins were put into the same submission I think that might red-flag them for AT. Separate them out into different submissions and it might be easier to get them thru grading.

I dont think any of these coins have the same pattern as the one Joe posted though...

Well, if you move your magnifier to the 12 o'clock position on the reverse of the first coin you it has a toned spot that is coming from the light. Similar spots at identical positions are on both sides of the second coin.

I imagine an amber light would enhance a toned coin even more depending on the position and distance from the slab.

I'm not saying the person is doing this on purpose because they use the light on all the coins, but in my opinion there is definitely an enhancement. Not that it makes any of them look any better.

They are all boring (not necessarily ugly, just nothing special), but they are all natural. The random orange on each is due to the flash or a light on the camera or something, it is not on the coin. These are all basic auburn/gold toning, and I see absolutely nothing suspicious about any of them.

You guys think that the amber light is causing this "look" on the coins ?

Did anyone look at this other coin photos ? That doesnt seem to be an issue...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-NGC-AU-58-1890-S-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-FREE-S-H-2-022-/350749142228?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item51aa472cd4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-NGC-AU-55-1881-S-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-FREE-S-H-2-007-/230951842988?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item35c5cd74ac

Its amazing to me that everyone just accepts a toned Morgan in TPG plastic without ever even questioning the NT/AT of the toning.

As for them being ugly... yes I think we can all agree on that but that wasnt my question.

I dont know toning on Morgans - I was asking if there is a toning source that could produce these same toning patterns on 4 different years...(especially a 1921)

That seems suspicious to me. This toning doesnt look like bag toning, album toning or envelope toning.

As for them having different submission numbers - that actually makes sense. If all 4 of these coins were put into the same submission I think that might red-flag them for AT. Separate them out into different submissions and it might be easier to get them thru grading.

I dont think any of these coins have the same pattern as the one Joe posted though...

I think what folks are trying to say is the pictures are so bad with reflections of camera, lens, flash indicator that we have no clue what the coins look like in hand. I don't believe anyone could truthfully tell you whether the coins are AT or NT based on the photo quality so all we have to judge by is that NGC has seen the coins in hand and judged them to be natural or market acceptable. If we had a batter idea of what the surfaces looked like we might be able to tell you that the coins appear AT.....I can't even tell you if the toning is the same across all 4 coins like you believe it to be...I don't think it is hm