• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Russia 1878-cnb 1R

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I'd like a grade on this and a mintage. I have the mint as St. Petersburg and the designer as Nicholai Follendorf. The edge inscription is nice and intact depicting the silver content and such but I'm at a loss for a literal translation so if you can point me to a website where I might find that information, I'd appreciate that, too. Thanks.

135959.jpg.dda412e850216ea2d894307323d66993.jpg

Correct on St. Pete and Follendorf. 1878-CPB, one ruble of course. Mintage about 8 million. That's got good detail, VF for sure and EF most probably, corresponding high book about $70 to $180. A 20.73g coin that is .868 Ag, net Ag content .5785 oz. Only thing that worries me is the color, which is problematic to judge from some photos but looks a little unnatural to me. Krause Y#25.

Best resource for identification and general content for world coins is www.numista.com.

Thank you, comrades. JKK, I really messed up on the tint in these photos. The coin is actually silver-gray, through-and-through. The original photos were under a light-setting that made the coin appear very golden, so I tried to edit them. The purple is from screwing up the tint. Thank you very much for the grades, and for that very good website!

No worries. "The photo's light could be throwing me off, but that looks funny" is so much a part of the posting and examining process here that one could almost add it to one's sig. I'm glad the color is better than it looks because it has nice detail, and if whatever lustre remains is fully original, that's an uptick for you. Congrats on having an appealing piece.

Numista isn't perfect, but it will have weights that Krause will not. Also, since each Krause is a century or fraction thereof, if you come upon one that's older than what you have Krauses for, it's a big help. Plus, color images, hello. :)