• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Repousse Coins (aka Push Outs or Pop Outs)

2 posts in this topic

I mentioned earlier that I wrote an article on penny exonumia and am also working on putting together an exhibit for the Summer ANA show in Chicago. Included in my penny exonumia collection are these cool Repousse Indian cents (aka push outs or pop outs). Here is a little information I found about these fun pieces:

These interesting pieces of exonumia are also known as “Pushed Up,” “3-D,” or “Repousse” coins. Many varieties exist, including Miss Liberty, Presidents, with Lincoln being the most common, as well as animals, Indians, political, religious, fraternal clubs, foreign themes, etc. Many pop-outs were made into jewelry, such as fobs, rings, pins, brooches, pendants, cuff links, etc. A book on pop out coins called “Pop Out Repousse Coins – a Numismatic Mystery” was published in 2011 by Robert (Stumpy) Stump, who passed away a few days after the book was sent to print.

I posted photos of these two Indian repousse's I took with my iPhone in my Baltimore show report, but here are Todd's wonderful photos of these two pieces I acquired at the Baltimore show!

33.jpg

34.jpg

They will go nicely with the Roosevelt push out that I already had in my collection.

1.jpg

Feel free to post any repousse coins you may have!!!

I have quite a few but have never imaged any of them. Maybe I'll search for them later on today :) !

You probably already know that they are still being made. There's a recent-vintage "Kennedy" push-out that I see from time to time on late-date halves.