• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1837 Reed Half

8 posts in this topic

AU55 with Neutral Eye Appeal

There are many varieties and that 7 looks kind of funny. Maybe a closer look and research can tell you if there is a variation on that as well.

I based my guess on PCGS Photo Grade

AU Details, scratched.

The eye appeal and originality of this coin are superb - if it didn't have that scratch I would not hesitate to buy it, and I'd pay a strong price for it.

The scratch kills it though, unfortunately.

The technical grade is AU-50. A lot of collectors like this look so eye appeal is not a problem. The scratch in the right field lowers the net grade to EF. I'm guessing that it would not get a grade, or if you are lucky you will get a net grade of EF-40.

I have to admit, I do like the "look" of this piece a LOT.

I personally found it to "look" better than just about any other 1837 Reeded Halves currently up for sale at Ebay. It was intended to be a replacement for my 1839-O Reeded Half in my Dansco 7070 album. I have just recently sold the 39-O as it didn't fit the price profile for the coins that I've used to fill the the album with.

It may still be OK for my album, but so far the scratch has kept me away.

Darn scratch!!!