• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1948 Washington MS66 T

8 posts in this topic

This is a new one to me. I am putting together a birth year mint set and found this coin. Since it was unique (to me) I had to have it as part of my set. The NGC holder is obviously an older one. Thought I would share it. I hope this paste from Photobucket works. The coin has almost a silver haze to it and is difficult to photograph.

http://i1254.photobucket.com/albums/hh611/zsmart1/003-1.jpg

It is an NGC generation 8 holder, used for 4 weeks in August/September 2000. The "T" designation was used from the beginning of the year 2000 and discontinued in August of 2002. It was used to denote that a coin was "toned" at the time it was holdered. During the same time period, the "W" designation was also used -- to denote a coin was "white" at the time it was holdered. These designations were restricted to non-copper coins, and I have seen them on silver dimes, silver quarters, silver halves, silver nickels, clad dimes, clad quarters, clad halves, and non-silver nickels. I haven't ever seen a silver dollar or clad dollar with the designations, but I guess there is no reason to believe they weren't also used on those.

Consult this thread for more information about the different style/generation NGC holders.

-Brandon

As mentioned, the T stands for toning. I sure don't know why that '48-D got a T, as FROM THE IMAGE, it sure looks white.

FWIW, here's my '48-D...

sc1948D_66WA.jpg

sc1948D_66WArev.jpg

What an absurdly awesome coin!! The 1948-D is very underrated in my opinion. It was the absolute LAST "common" date I found for my set(s). Truly nice ones (like yours :) ) are just not out there.

As mentioned, the T stands for toning. I sure don't know why that '48-D got a T, as FROM THE IMAGE, it sure looks white.

As only the obv is shown perhaps the rev is toined???