• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1856 large cent

7 posts in this topic

Do graders take the age of a coin into consideration when grading?

I mean that coin is 157 years old and looks better than some of the 20 year old coins one would find in their pocket. It seems like age should be considered too when coming up with a grade.

I mean that coin is 157 years old and looks better than some of the 20 year old coins one would find in their pocket. It seems like age should be considered too when coming up with a grade.

No. The age of a coin has nothing to do with its grade. A coin with wear is a coin with wear, and it doesn't matter how old it is. Corosion and other problems are treated the same.

Now, collectors may appreciate the age, and take into account that an older coin may have more problems and be more forgiving of them when purchasing a coin. But it doesn't affect the grade at all.

No. The age of a coin has nothing to do with its grade. A coin with wear is a coin with wear, and it doesn't matter how old it is. Corosion and other problems are treated the same.

Now, collectors may appreciate the age, and take into account that an older coin may have more problems and be more forgiving of them when purchasing a coin. But it doesn't affect the grade at all.

I fully agree with you and the way things SHOULD be. WIth this said, the TPGs do seem, at least in my opinion, to be more forgiving of 18th century copper. I have seen coins with porosity, verdigris, and other issues in PCGS and NGC holders. This is more common than one would think.