• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about a slab I just bought

9 posts in this topic

A rattler

Good morning, everyone. I wanted to see if anyone could help me out with this.

I bought a coin a couple of weeks ago. The coin looks great, but it's sitting at a bit of an angle in the holder. I've tried tapping it a bit to see if I could get it reseated, but it hasn't worked.

Does anyone know if NGC will reslab it for free, or whether there would be a charge?

Thank you for your help.

Marcus

See more journals by Texan's Coins

Rattlers are PCGS holders so you would have to pay to cross it over. Because it's in a rattler I'd leave it there. Depends on what kind of coin it is, I find that halves and dollars are easy to reposition by shaking. I've seen others who put a towel on a countertop and tap it until the coin is repositioned. If it starts moving the wrong way turn the coin over. Of course, the coin will find the position in the slab that it wants so don't be surprised if it changes position later on you.

It's an NGC graded coin, but I wasn't sure if anyone had a similar nickname for NGC coins. It's a commemorative half dollar. So far, it's not badly out of position, but the O.C.D. in me wants it straight. lol

NGC will reholder it for you, but for a fee. I've learned to live with the few coins I have that are tilted in the holders, as long as the surfaces are not obscured in any way.

When shooting pictures of the coin, put a couple dimes under a side or corner of the slab so that the surface of the coin is perfectly parallel to the sensor on your camera. This will guarantee that the full surface of the coin is in focus.

I'm with Rick...

Yeah, tilts and rotations are annoying. But don't pass on good coins because of that. For better or worse, we're stuck with slabs for the foreseeable future. Just try to make each purchasing decision based on the coin and how it fits your collecting goals and responsible personal finance, and not on the kind of plastic it's in, or distribution of ink on the insert, or whether someone put a sticker on it, or any other nonsense.

If the tilt or rotation really bothers you, then spend the few dollars to get it reholdered. I would submit it at a show, if convenient, to save half of the postage, and enjoy the show (easy for me in Baltimore). But if we were talking about an inexpensive, common coin, then I'd say just buy one that's in the slab properly to begin with.

Alan