• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

no idea what im doing wrong.........

3 posts in this topic

Ive always set aside coins here and there but only just last year got into it to the level where im learning about errors, key dates, silver coins and so on. i work from home and have a lot of free time while doing it so every few days i'll go down to the bank and get a box of pennies, a few rolls of dimes, quarters and any half or dollar coins they might have. After a few months of being empty handed i started to think maybe the bank workers are taking any silver. So i started rotating banks but ended up with nothing still. i tried whatever i could to get actual pocket change. if i go to the store and they give me 3 dollars back ill ask for it in change. this way im getting coins that are for the most part someones pocket change instead of a processed roll. I i now have 5 stores close to my house that keep all the half dollar and dollar coins for me and i buy them at face value every other day. I even went as far as going to a car wash or laundromat and putting 100 dollars or so in the change machines. After a little over 14 months of doing this i still have not found a single nice error, key date, semi key date or silver coin. Not one! maybe this is normal but from my understanding im WAY past due to find something. doing some rough math i can safely say i have looked at well over a half million coins in just pennies alone over these 14 months. i thought maybe i just have bad eyes for this, so i bought a usb microscope and look at my coins on a 42 inch screen lol (a little over the top maybe but at this point i didnt know what else to try). so if you have any pointers or suggestions feel free to share. Anyways, i bought some domes from a local shop and a few things grabbed my eye so i figured id see what you all thought of them. also posting a few of a 79 SBA i got on my way home tonight and to me it looks like the mint mark might be doubled....and sorry now for the bad photos. its the best i can get with that usb microscope

photos of 3 1961 Roosevelt's

dm61_zpsee1e937c.jpg

dime61_zpsc40d9d57.jpg

1961dime_zpsd7524783.jpg

61dm_zps94ffbc67.jpg

61dime2_zps22fa3990.jpg

61di_zpsda818fb8.jpg

61dime_zpsbcbf07af.jpg

1954 Roosevelt...

54dd_zps1c87c2a9.jpg

54d_zpsb88b6cf4.jpg

1964D Roosevelt ( to me it looks like there might have been a 7 there. not sure why or how . but i see the bar over the 4 and what looks like the spine of a 7 cutting across the middle of the 4

4-7_zps0426f735.jpg

There are lots of people looking for "the big one" in their pocket change :) Maybe try focusing on the well known errors that bring a real value rather than every little die error. Not all errors are rare. There are tons of different die issue possibilities. Looks like you're driving yourself batty, but it is fun looking isn't it :) You never know. Good luck.