• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever have a coin with...

17 posts in this topic

reeding that had wear that felt and looked like it should be on a VF-XF coin...

But the coin's surfaces doesnt have any wear or at most be an AU58 ?

It seems really strange...

Anyone know what causes this ?

Yes on coins used in slot machines...but otherwise no hm

Still you would expect wear on the surfaces from all of that handling...

It is very odd...

Actually in the case of the slot machines you can get a AU coins with pretty flat edges simply because the edges take the most lumps when the coin falls into the hopper.

Bought an 1890 Morgan the other day and just got it in the mail today. The first thing I noticed when I was putting the coin in a flip is that the reeding was worn almost smooth. But the surfaces of the coin are very nice. Sorry for the poor quality in the pictures, but they are only to demonstrate the smooth reeding on, what I think is, a high AU/low BU coin.

SmoothEdgeReeding_zps55ba6d6e.jpg

SER1890Obv_zps8e6fb044.jpg

SER1890Rev_zpsc00cdf1b.jpg

I don't think it came from a slot machine. You would see more hits on the obverse and reverse. I was thinking that maybe someone was bouncing it up and down on a table (poker game?) by holding it between their thumb and forefinger, but I don't see any fingerprints.

Chris

Deerefan, that's a very interesting coin. The obverse and reverse look very nice, im interested in hearing others take on the smooth edge. Hmmm.

Nick

As always, based on the pics. Looks like an AU55 to me. The condition of the reeded edges is an interesting aside, but does not affect the grade of the coin. No way to determine how the reeding was worn down.

Carl

Aside from the small notches(?) in the Arrow Tips and leaf directly to the right, the coin itself is in great shape. I dont believe it to be a fake and I havent found any evidence so far that would signal a counterfeit. Plus the pictures are somewhat bad, not exactly the best for showing detail. I paid $40 for it so I think I'll hang on to it until I can find a better piece.

Come to think of it, I purchased a coin a few months back that was in a bezel and the edges were worn much more than the rest of the coin. If someone filed the edges on this coin, they did an excellent job of keeping the round shape throughout the coin and there is no roughness to the reeding at all.