• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm hooked !!!

22 posts in this topic

I started buying and accumulating silver some time last year. ( too much Doomsday Prepers I think). First some bars then some rounds, finally I decided to try some eagles. So I purchased a roll of brand new 2013 ASE. Wow what a gorgeous coin. Love at first sight. I started reading all I could find on them. So recently i started buying graded only, and even joined the NGC registry. I'm off to a good start I think. I have over 25% in 2 sets. And my new ritual is waiting by my mail box for that new arrival. I want to thank all you long time collectors, as I have spent countless hours reading your posts, and have learned a ton. And still have tons to go. I would have posted my sets on the bottom, but haven't figured that out yet. Anyway happy collecting to you all.

Bruce

Very cool. It looks like the coin collecting bug has got you! It got me over a year ago. I read a lot and would suggest some basic coin collecting books, like the beginner guides and stuff. But you probably have learned most of that from all the posts. The more you know, the better deals you can find. Since I've been collecting, it seems the bullion coins have been getting hotter. I don't have any, except one raw 2013 that i just like to hold once and a while. It doesn't have a mint mark, so i don't expect it to go up much in value. I'm glad to hear another collector is finding as much joy as i do. Carry on!

As you can see from Stef's last photo, the 2008-W Reverse of 2007 with the burnished finish is probably the most well-known SAE for variety collectors because the reverse design was modified for that year, but some were inadvertently struck using the 2007 reverse die.

Now, if you want to collect a complete set of the proofs, you will need the 1995-W, which was only released in the 4-coin gold set as a bonus coin, as well as the 2006 20th Anniversary & 2011 25th Anniversary Reverse Proofs.

Chris

I too got hooked buying some proof silver eagles directly from the mint. I spent and do spend hours reading most of the threads on the boards. Spend some time in the WYNTK threads. Lots of great information. I own that book and if you want to collect ASE's, it's a welcome source of information.

Welcome!

There is no turning back now. The 1999 Silver Mint set launched me into collecting, then ASE's, then bars, then Morgans. I'm going to suggest filling a Dansco with gem ASE's, may even produce some attractive toners. Good luck with all your ventures,

Scott

SkyMan, I agree totally. Do they offer a 12 step program for numismatics ?

And to all the other posters, thanks for the welcome.

......Abandon hope, all ye who enter. Welcome to the Gateway, mortal.....MWAHAHAHAHA..................GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

First off, welcome! :hi:

Second, I have not heard of a 12 step program just for numismatics, but there is a 12 step program specifically for toned coin collectors (Hello Stefanie!!! :baiting: ). Here it is from the Toned Coin Collectors Society (TCCS)...

TCCS Steps

1. We admitted we were powerless over toned coins – that our bank accounts had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity, namely our spouses.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and “A box” toners over to the care of Ron.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of our “C box” toners.

5. Admitted to our members, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our bad purchases.

6. Were entirely ready to have TCCS remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked TCCS to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had irritated and inadvertently boasted to, regardless of their interest or lack thereof, regarding our toned coin collection and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would possibly jeopardize our acquisition of a new toner, particularly when attending an auction.

10. Continued to take inventory and when we overpaid promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with TCCS, praying only for knowledge of its will for us and the power to make another purchase.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other toneaholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs, except when attending a coin show.

Welcome, My name is Brian and I am also addicted to the ASE. You will be amazed before you are half way through. I have all but the 95w congratulations on the start of your journey. It's an easy set to collect and to me the designs are awesome.

that was hilarious. thanks for sharing.

BTW where do you do most of you buying?

I have not seen too many NTs on e-bay or on HA. Maybe not searching for them specifically. where are the best deals for graded ASEs. i have most all of the 2000s in ms 70, as you know the prices go thru the roof on the earlier dates.I may have to settle for the 69s to complete the MSs. im also looking for the anniversery sets. then i think i'll start on the proofs.

regards :makepoint: Bruce

Second, I have not heard of a 12 step program just for numismatics, but there is a 12 step program specifically for toned coin collectors (Hello Stefanie!!! :baiting: ). Here it is from the Toned Coin Collectors Society (TCCS)...

TCCS Steps

1. We admitted we were powerless over toned coins – that our bank accounts had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity, namely our spouses.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and “A box” toners over to the care of Ron.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of our “C box” toners.

5. Admitted to our members, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our bad purchases.

6. Were entirely ready to have TCCS remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked TCCS to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had irritated and inadvertently boasted to, regardless of their interest or lack thereof, regarding our toned coin collection and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would possibly jeopardize our acquisition of a new toner, particularly when attending an auction.

10. Continued to take inventory and when we overpaid promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with TCCS, praying only for knowledge of its will for us and the power to make another purchase.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other toneaholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs, except when attending a coin show.

Now this is a good and true mantra :grin:

BTW where do you do most of you buying?...

While I like the SAE design and have maybe 4ish of the coins, it is not a series that I collect. Right now I'm mainly working on 1940 - 1964 toned Washingtons in (predominantly) MS66. For them I've bought just about everywhere that you can imagine... shows, auctions, eBay, board members etc. etc.