• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1879 S Morgan and 1883 CC Morgan

10 posts in this topic

Maybe these photo links will work . Was just curious what anyone might think about the possible grade or if they thought it was cleaned or any manipulation.

obverse_1879_S.JPG

reverse_1879_S.JPG

Thanks.

And these too please.

reverse_1880_S.JPG

obverse_1880_S.JPG

Put the wrong one up there based on the title. So here is that CC

obverse_1883_CC.JPG

reverse_1883_CC.JPG

There!

Top one looks 63, maybe 64 if the obverse carries it, but the reverse tells me it would go 63. The 80 looks to be slabbed by PCGS? Hope that's not an ACG slab. Anyhow, looks dmpl but it does have what appears to be problems. The reverse looks like it has a thumbprint, maybe even worse, it's so large it almost looks like a palm print!! It has it's problems but it has incredible contrast. I'm going to say 63 because any defect will be magnified by the fact the mirrors are so strong that they will really stand out.

The 80 is slabbed by ANACS.

MS-64PL VAM51

I bought it because I think it should be DMPL also and was going to maybe try a crossover and regrade.

The 79 is raw and I was hoping that it might get a bit higher but I am also prepared for a 63 or 64. My main concern is if anyone thought this was a dipped, cleaned, improperly cleaned coin?

ACG or ICG slab?

I had asked that question elsewhere. If the ICG grading was worth anything. I hope they are somewhere close to accurate. I have one ICG I bought.

I had 1 coin in an ICG slab and I had a tough time selling it. Buy the coin and not the slab is a great theory...until you try and sell it :)

I'm not a good grader or anything, but your 79 & 83 look dipped. Very clean, but dull.

I can be wrong. I'm still a newbie.

Buy the coin and not the slab is a great theory...until you try and sell it

"Buy the coin, not the slab" applies more to the grade assigned on an NGC or PCGS slab than it does to "off brand" slabs. The gist is don't go exclusively with the grade assigned, but look at the coin and decide if YOU think the grade is warranted.

As a dealer I handled a few ICG graded coins that were quite nice, but generally the brand does not get the respect in the market that NGC and PCGS get. ICG graded coins generally bring lower prices and are harder to sell. ICG graded coins do get more respect than some of the really bad slab brand names that were created mostly to deceive inexperienced buyers for Internet sales. This is the reason that eBay established its rules for grade claims concerning slabs other than NGC and PCGS.

Anyhow, looks dmpl but it does have what appears to be problems. The reverse looks like it has a thumbprint, maybe even worse, it's so large it almost looks like a palm print!! It has it's problems but it has incredible contrast.

Yeah that was a concern of mine as well but since it is slabbed already I thought maybe that was just a print or some gunk on the outside of the slab and hoping surely they didn't slab it with a big print on it.

Maybe they do. Not seasoned enough to know however PCGS says that they have a restoration service for things like that. I believe something like that might be possible to fix if that is the actual coin that it is on. Probably cost way more than it would be worth messing with though.

Thanks for the better understanding on the different grading services also to those offering advice on that.

I hoping for a 65 but that is like scratching a lottery ticket. Hope all you want but it won't change a thing.

But I just found a gem my wife found at a flea market. It is a penny and has been sealed for years in one of those 'Strange but True' cases where they compare Kennedy with Lincoln. Just as red as can be. I guess maybe I will post pics later in another thread or I might wait and not jinx myself and send it in to be graded. It is a small whopper!

So now I don't even care about these coins. lol

I got all the coins in hand now and the bottom 1883 CC looks really good. That was some plastic cover the guy places over shiny coins to prevent reflections but once in hand I could tell that if there had been any cleaning it surely did not compromise the mirrors.

I don't think it would qualify as a DMPL but I think it could easily have a PL placed on it. I could be wrong there but since it is so mirror like in one of those cardboard/plastic/stapler coin holders and exhibits a good PL it may just very well be enough for DMPL. Either way the 1883 CC is ready to be submitted when I get the chance. It is a good coin.

That 1879 S however did come in as a really clean coin but it's reflective qualities are very low compared to that CC and I might do better letting that one get some toning to it before I think about sending it in. Isn't that what you should do when you receive a coin that looks like it might have been cleaned or I should say dipped recently? I did not see a great amount of scratches on the surface to indicate improper cleaning. I think it was probably just dipped.

That 1880 S that is at this time in a ANACS slab and graded MS64 PL with what looks like a big fingerprint is in hand as well and I don't know how the other owner took the pictures. Maybe he scanned it or used a flash? I have no idea but they are not nearly as apparent and bold with the coin in hand and 5x loupe. I think it would easily grade DMPL but I am actually afraid it might cross as a 63 instead of a 64 like it is now. I guess I will have to look at some grades and values to decide how and what to do with that one. It has actually made me curious about this restoration or conservation service that NGC and PCGS offer. That might be a option that will instill some confidence in it obtaining the DMPL grade but I doubt it would do anything for reinforcing the MS64 grade.

Here are some pics I took in case anyone was curious about them once in my hands.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107521821881682237278/albums/5854193607833627873

Maybe that link will work correctly for pictures after in hand.