• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPDATE: What grade will you give it: 1893 O Morgan?

12 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! I went to coin show in Fort Myers today, and I bought one from seller: 1893-O. It was certificated by ANACS, I rather to ask for your opinion about grade first before I can show/tell the grade from ANACS. I guessed around XF40 - AU50??? I am not sure... Please help me out.

It has a crack on holder, so if you need a better picture of my coin, please let me know so that I can open it and shoot a better picture again. I am planning to open it and send it to NGC.

Photo2013-03-09014913PM_zpsee2839c2.jpg

Photo2013-03-09014920PM_zpscb34d533.jpg

I forget to add: I spent about $450 on this 1893-O, so I hope it's better than XF40. Should I send it to NGC or nay?

The coin is worth enough to justify the expenditure of the grading fees; however, I am not sure that I would cross it personally. I am sure others will disagree with me, but at this level, I have observed older holder ANACS coins selling for comparable levels of NGC coins if you sell in a friendly venue. But then again, the holder does have a crack, and by time you pay shipping to have it reholdered, etc., it may be better just to break it out and send it to PCGS or NGC.

P.S. I don't think the coin will downgrade, but if you are worried about it, send it to PCGS instead. PCGS will allow you to cross the coin as is in the holder, whereas NGC requires that all non-PCGS coins be removed from their holders (either by you or by them) before grading.

All right Kenny, I completely agree that some sellers are selling their certificated coin at NGC's price (or PCGS's price). When I was at coin show, the seller asked for $540, but he accepted my offer. Before he accepted my offer, he was actually thinking for few seconds... I am thinking maybe his wife gave him her half closed eyes to make him to sell it now. Ha

Update: NGC has graded my 1893 O Morgan Dollar today - XF45. What do you think? Is it accuracy or should it be AU50? Your opinion?

How accurate are the photos? By current market standards, the coin looks AU to me.

The picture is almost accurate (I can't say "perfect" because I am a rookie, and I don't know what is the perfect picture should looking like yet). Does AU50 should have a barely visible feathers on eagle's chest? I don't think the feathers on chest is noticeable on my coin.