• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$10 NGC Imaging Option

44 posts in this topic

I think Phil at PCGS is an excellent photographer who tries too hard to please.

I have said many times ATS that his images are too often color-incorrect and sometimes look more like op-art paintings than photos of coins.

We have had photo contests here and you have seen some of the best. Any one of those photographers can twist an image into anything customer wants.

Personally I feel it is wrong to enhance photos to give customers what they want. They should be true representations of coins. But I've been wrong a lot lately.

Lance.

Lance, why do you feel it is wrong to enhance photos to give customers what they want? Do you feel the same way about an artist who paints or draws a portrait of a customer and, upon request, does so in a flattering manner? As long as there is no plan to deceive anyone, I don't see a problem with it.

I have seen a wide range on truviews. Ive no idea on timeline so I dont know if it was better recent or earlier. But in the extreme examples the coins simply look like high def illustrations. There are some examples that look great though.

Any photo taken for hire should look like what the person paying for it wants it to look like. When I take a picture of a coin with toning, I use my judgment and any guidance that was given (usually people that like toners want to see the toning) for the first shot, then ask the owner of the coin if they approve or want me to reshoot for a different effect, even if it isn't my favorite. I'm guessing the instructions given for toned coin TrueViews usually amount to, "show me the color!"

True, if the photo is for personal use. I see a lot of people using the same pic to advertise the coin for sale.

But as long as there is a return policy I guess its not that big of a problem, just more of a hassle really.

My goal has always been to accurately capture the coin. You can always give the owner the unedited raw images and let them go to town with the saturation, tint and exposure themselves.

I think Phil at PCGS is an excellent photographer who tries too hard to please.

I have said many times ATS that his images are too often color-incorrect and sometimes look more like op-art paintings than photos of coins.

We have had photo contests here and you have seen some of the best. Any one of those photographers can twist an image into anything customer wants.

Personally I feel it is wrong to enhance photos to give customers what they want. They should be true representations of coins. But I've been wrong a lot lately.

Lance.

Most toners have a multitude of different looks depending on how light is hitting it. Just flick the coin back and forth and see how many looks you can see.

I don't think taking photos that show colors such as these are enhancing the photos......the colors are there, bright and beautiful. Enhancing would be showing color that doesn't exist.

Why is it ok to have an image showing it as it looks with lighting hitting it one way but not others?

If I have a toned coin I want to see the toning.

This is very true. And, while I do think PCGS photos capture the coin at its most optimistic angle, I also think more people would find PCGS pics less offensive if they got to see more of their own coins outside their slabs. It’s amazing how different they seem before they are entombed. The colors are brighter and easier to see with less effort because you are not fighting plastic glare, shadows, and prongs. And of course, sometimes the plastic has a tint that distorts the true color. Many people are not used to seeing thier expensive coins outside the holder.

Not that I will provide a link but I have some nice Frankie's up for sale that I imaged and also provided the true view images in the listing and for the most part I think the images were close. I have certainly seen the cartoon versions mention...

As far as my own images...I always think it's funny when a customer buys a coin and says it doesn't look like my images. While it's a rare occurrence it does happen from time to time.... so I try to explain that I didn't shoot the image of their coin on there living room couch and yet there is an expectation that when they open the packe the coin will look exactly like it does in my images where the coin is shot at an angle under (3) 60 watt GE Reveal Halogen bulbs lol

It's called professional coin imaging folks and you can't do that in the dark...just go to a model photo shoot or walk into your local car dealership...is the showroom dark? Proper lighting isn't a method of manipulation...even at coin shows they have the clip on lights so you can get a good look at the coin and yes a professional image should put the coins best foot forward as you get one 2D shot to recreate a beautiful 3D coin image. Playing with the saturation and contrast to create colors that aren't on the coin is certainly a no no and I am fortunate that I haven't had a customer ask me to manipulate the way I take my normal images but as Mark eluded too...if they pay for the image and they want changes then I feel the photographer should do what they can to make the customer happy.

My slab shots are intentionally made from a different angle so you can get another perspective of the coin, at arms length, in addition to the flood-light close-ups that sometimes look to good to be true.

As far as my own images...I always think it's funny when a customer buys a coin and says it doesn't look like my images. While it's a rare occurrence it does happen from time to time.... so I try to explain that I didn't shoot the image of their coin on there living room couch and yet there is an expectation that when they open the packe the coin will look exactly like it does in my images where the coin is shot at an angle under (3) 60 watt GE Reveal Halogen bulbs lol

Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying Shane - you take fantastic images! It's just tricky sometimes to get the right lighting and angle to see what your picture shows.

Any photo taken for hire should look like what the person paying for it wants it to look like. When I take a picture of a coin with toning, I use my judgment and any guidance that was given (usually people that like toners want to see the toning) for the first shot, then ask the owner of the coin if they approve or want me to reshoot for a different effect, even if it isn't my favorite. I'm guessing the instructions given for toned coin TrueViews usually amount to, "show me the color!"

True, if the photo is for personal use. I see a lot of people using the same pic to advertise the coin for sale.

But as long as there is a return policy I guess its not that big of a problem, just more of a hassle really.

When I take a picture, I can't judge why the customer wants me to take it. The one time I was asked to "really bring out the color" I probably responded by saying that if they're offering the coin for sale, they need to be careful not to put up a picture that doesn't best represent what the buyer will see, thus resulting in a return. I then gave them the shots they paid for.

My concern is addressed by John's comment above.

Too often the coin images are used when selling and enhanced images are deceptive. To me it is not a lot different from removing scratches or unsightly spots.

If the images are never used for selling...they're just part of a private album...I have no problem delivering what the customer wants. I realize their use is out of my control but if this is what I am told it sits better for me.

If the seller provides realistic images along with those that enhance corner-case colors, surfaces, luster, etc. then I suppose harm is mitigated.

True Views, however, should be true views.

I'm sure many will disagree. It's just my opinion.

Lance.

Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying Shane - you take fantastic images! It's just tricky sometimes to get the right lighting and angle to see what your picture shows.

Your words are hurtful Jason...I will expect at least 2 free hand delivered beers at the next FUN show NGC luncheon :censored:

Your words are hurtful Jason...I will expect at least 2 free hand delivered beers at the next FUN show NGC luncheon :censored:

How about I just let you look at some pretty coins and then take them back away from you? :P

The only professional imaging I have done has been by Dr. Tom Bush. Absolutely great work, for only ten dollars. But in my experience selling at auction is mainly a numbers game where 600 DPI or less scanner images with a certified coin are all most buyers need to have confidence.

This is not a shameless plug for a very rare Seated Quarter variety that I am offering. Actually, I just found out that it was used as the plate coin for PCGS CoinFacts. That means that a TrueView was made for it; and in this instance, I can report that it does not show the most accurate color, i.e., it has been juiced.

Here is exactly what it looks like (my un-candied images):

1856o12243b_zps24fd9571.jpg

1856r12243b_zpsd245057b.jpg

Here is the PCGS TrueView:

1856o25Coinfacts_zpsfde8c7f1.jpg

1856rCoinfacts_zpsbcb7e9e0.jpg