• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting Gold Bars

16 posts in this topic

does anyone collect gold bars? or know of a good reference book on them? I recently found a bar from an Asian country and was told that the collector value increases the value over the bullion value. is there a dealer online that might have these bars for sale?

I find most gold bars to be a very unattractive purchase although I enjoy collecting gold coins a great deal. There is a lot more room for fraud in the gold bar market because the stamping practices and requirements are nowhere near as strict. Coins are stuck with dies under many tons of pressure. Counterfeiting coins exactly is very challenging, and experts can detect a very large percentage of the fakes by detailed inspection.

Gold bars are stamped, and to insure their authenticity they must be weighed and tested for purity when they are sold. We already know that the Chinese are making silver plated steel bars that are offered as silver bars. It makes sense that the Chinese and others might be doing the same thing with gold plated bars if they see that there is a profit to made by doing it.

does anyone collect gold bars? or know of a good reference book on them? I recently found a bar from an Asian country and was told that the collector value increases the value over the bullion value. is there a dealer online that might have these bars for sale?

Silver bars and rounds definitely have some following by collectors of thematic material, but I haven't found the same to be true of gold bars. Given the potential expense, please approach that kind of collecting angle with caution, as there could be a lot of unwarranted hype out there.

(I guess that's true of all collecting angles, though :sick: .)

I've also used APMEX. I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for in a gold bar, but for selection, you can't beat these guys. Their price over spot is higher than other sites, but my experience with them has been great.

http://www.apmex.com/Category/1150/Gold_Bars__Gold_RoundsAll_Sizes__Manufacturers.aspx

I LOVE collecting Engelhard old pour gold bars. Much more so then gold coins. They are rather hard to find in some fore mats. MJ

I LOVE collecting Engelhard old pour gold bars. Much more so then gold coins. They are rather hard to find in some fore mats. MJ

Yep....most of them are under floor mats.

Ha! Typo's rock. MJ

I've also used APMEX. I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for in a gold bar, but for selection, you can't beat these guys. Their price over spot is higher than other sites, but my experience with them has been great.

http://www.apmex.com/Category/1150/Gold_Bars__Gold_RoundsAll_Sizes__Manufacturers.aspx

I just placed an order with them today, on a 5 ounce Fortuna Pamp Suisse w/assay card.

I just placed an order with them today, on a 5 ounce Fortuna Pamp Suisse w/assay card.

The Fortuna's are fantastic. Well bought! MJ

The Fortuna's are fantastic. Well bought! MJ

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to arrive. lol

that jmbullion site is very nice, thanks for mentioning it.

Apmex is good, rarecoincollector.net or .com whatever it is, they have nice stuff too