• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USPS Shipping

10 posts in this topic

Well it has been an interesting week for coins being shipped to me through the PO. The first coin was shipped from Iowa. When the coin did not arrive when I had expected, I checked the tracking. The coin was in Arkansas. I live in Montana. Seems like that went the wrong way. The next coin was shipped from the east coast and when it did not arrive, I checked and it was in Hawaii! It kind of overshot Montana. I notified the sellers to check the tracking and they were sure surprised. The good news is the coins eventually did arrive here. Another more expensive coin I checked this morning and it passed through Billings, MT last night so figured it would be in my box today. Wrong so I checked and the tracking said it was Missent. So I am not sure where it is now. And this was all in this last week. Sure shows one needs tracking and/or insurance on those coins (and patience).

Yep, sounds like you've had one great adventure! Given the sheer quantity of items handled, I think the PO does an amazing job, but I've had my fair share of interesting encounters as well. Once, some number of years ago, I shipped a rather inexpensive coin from my PO to a Post Office just about five miles away. It took fifteen days to arrive. Yeah, I could have driven it his house much faster, but the customer wanted to keep his address confidential (and you can't blame him).

I had a similar "missent" message when tracking a coin last week. It was at the correct office, but the message concerned me as well. It was in my mailbox the next day. I'd be surprised if you don't have it by tomorrow.

I think tracking is very important for customer relations, whether you are the buyer or seller. If a shipment is delayed somewhere, the tracking will confirm that yes I did ship on this day as requested. Then there can be no question of did you really send it or did you sit on it for a few days or whatever. And the cost of adding tracking is very minor. I agree our USPS does an amazing job overall when you look at the volume of mail moved. There always are mistakes but I have to admit I have never had a shipment not show up. Some days they get to spend a couple days in Hawaii. If only I could.

if you mail it, how is his address confidential?

James indicated that he had mailed the package to a post office. Between that and his comment that the recipient wanted to keep his address confidential, I think a PO box is the logical conclusion.

Well it has been an interesting week for coins being shipped to me through the PO. The first coin was shipped from Iowa. When the coin did not arrive when I had expected, I checked the tracking. The coin was in Arkansas. I live in Montana. Seems like that went the wrong way. The next coin was shipped from the east coast and when it did not arrive, I checked and it was in Hawaii! It kind of overshot Montana. I notified the sellers to check the tracking and they were sure surprised. The good news is the coins eventually did arrive here. Another more expensive coin I checked this morning and it passed through Billings, MT last night so figured it would be in my box today. Wrong so I checked and the tracking said it was Missent. So I am not sure where it is now. And this was all in this last week. Sure shows one needs tracking and/or insurance on those coins (and patience).

USPS: Let's see. Montana is somewhere between Great Britain and Australia. Right? Maybe if we send the package to Arkansas or Hawaii, someone there will know.

Chris

1361837916552_zpsd5aaa95a.jpg

Before the obvious police arrest and throw me in jail I do realize this is a UPS truck and not a USPS truck. Just a little nightmare scenario that could happen to your coins regardless of carrier :sick::cry::mad:

Nick