• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question regarding PVC, and carbon spot cleaning

9 posts in this topic

I have several coins that have very small carbon spots and the occasional PVC spot.

I'm trying to remove them or neutralize them and to my knowledge this is done with acetone.

However since these are toners I can't just stick the coin in acetone and swish and repeat since I am afraid that this will diminish the toning.

I've noticed my local LCS dabs the effected areas with a qtip of acetone. However wont this damage the coin leaving hairlines??

Any feedback on my rambling, or if there's a member close by who could help me out, I would like to submit these toners for stabbing since it would stabalize the toning.

Im pretty sure that acetone doesnt effect the toning.

A Q-tip will leave hairlines if you scrub the surface of the coin with it. Just be very gentle and use a loop to make sure you arent doing any damage.

Acetone is useful for removing debris and especially organic substances off of the surface of a coin. It will not affect natural toning; however, if organic agents were used to artificially tone a coin, then AT may potentially be removed by using acetone.

Ahh I understand, thanks for the info

Also if it is artificial toning it would be better for it to be removed so that I know what's authentic or not.

So If I follow this process of acetone long enough, it should remove the carbon or PVC residue and then allow the coin to get stabbed problem free?

Appreciate the advice

Also if it is artificial toning it would be better for it to be removed so that I know what's authentic or not.

So If I follow this process of acetone long enough, it should remove the carbon or PVC residue and then allow the coin to get stabbed problem free?

Appreciate the advice

Acetone will not remove most AT but should remove any PVC residue. I doubt acetone will have any effect on the carbon spots. Can we get some pics of these coins?

Appreciate the advice

Acetone will not remove most AT but should remove any PVC residue. I doubt acetone will have any effect on the carbon spots. Can we get some pics of these coins?

Ill post some pics after work. I would like to get these slabbed as problem free.

In my experience, acetone affects like toning the same way, regardless of how it got on a coin (properly or improperly). It should be safe for our purposes, especially for removing PVC, but it is likely to do nothing to the carbon spots.