• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What I found on Freemansburg Ave. posted by JoshuaRisi1995

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A simple collector who lives on a simple road, with coins all but simple.

Last Friday I traveled 100 miles to meet with a collector who sold me his definition of simplistics. He sold me part of his collection, a rather novice part but still applicable. Today I strolled through the material only to find that something was not right. Two coins were in labeled holders marked "1893/923 50c Costa Rica VF". They had the same exact labels, and I didn't know what it meant. I soon figured out it was a 1923 25 centavos from Costa Rica struck on an 1893 50 centimos from Central America. Beyond that, the first coin was a solid VF but the second is in impecable condition, a minimum 63! The piece is in such great condition, all the letters in centavos are present. Its amazing what lies behind simplicity. Happy Hunting!!!

13192.jpg

See more journals by JoshuaRisi1995

Nice Find!!!

Don't know much about any world coins as I am more a modern US coin nut. I do have a large holder notebook with around 200 foreign coins in it. All pages are listed by country and it is fun to flip through it once in a while.

Rick

A clarification on your find. The host coin is a 25 centavos 1893 (not 50), and the counterstamp is a 50 centimos (not centavos) 1923. The coinage system was changed in Costa Rica in 1896 from Pesos and Centavos to Colones and Centimos. That is why the centimos appear in the counterstamp. These were counterstamped in 1923 to double the value of the silver coins from 25 to 50 centimos and also from 50 centavos de 1 colon.

sig.jpg