• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Brown Token

14 posts in this topic

John Brown was a radical abolitionist and religious zealot. He is perhaps best known for his raid on the federal armory at Harper’s Ferry, VA (now West VA). He and a small band of followers seized the armory with the intent of arming slaves and starting an insurrection in the South.

The armory was quickly re-taken by the Marines, commanded by then US Colonel Robert E. Lee. Brown was tried, convicted and hanged for inciting servile insurrection and treason against the State of Virginia.

The news about the raid on Harper’s Ferry electrified the North and South alike. While some saw Brown (both in his time and today) as nothing more than a home-grown terrorist, many believed he was a martyr for the cause who played a major role in galvanizing the country towards an inevitable war.

“John Brown’s Body” became a popular Union marching song during the Civil War. And although some historians believe it was written about a different John Brown, it became popularly associated with the fiery abolitionist. The tune to John’s Brown’s Body was later used for The Battle Hymn of the Republic.

The John Brown medalet (about the size of a half dollar) dated 1859 (the year of Brown’s execution) is considered an R-6+ with 15-20 known. When found this token is usually in low grade or damaged and only a few true UNCs are out there. The piece below, which I just purchased, is almost fully proof-like with good luster and very few hairlines. It is currently off to NGC for grading. I think it would go MS 64 PL, but wouldn’t be surprised if it goes 63 as NGC has been conservative with their token/medal grading recently (in my opinion).

I will let folks know what it eventually grades, though I’m told there is around a 6-7 week turnaround time for tokens right now.

image_zps7e0b6816.jpgimage_zpsbb062b93.jpg

Congrat's! I love this token. I bought one last year and it's amongst my favorite tokens................MJ

Here is the same token in brass. Your white metal example is the best example I have seen in that metal. Most of them have ugly tarnish or worse.

The piece is scarce, but I think that there are a few more than 15-20. Over years I've seen that many different ones in dealers' inventories and auctions. Usually the number you see offered for sale is a "tip of the ice berg" although I would agree that the total population is somewhere in the 100 to 200 piece range.

SL1859-1AO.jpgSL1859-1R.jpg

Thanks for the kind replies guys! I knew others on this board would have an example of this token as well. It's definitely the current highlight of my Civil War collection.

And thanks for the population update Bill. Do you know how many were stuck in brass as opposed to white metal? Was it struck in any other metals to your knowledge?

The dealer I purchased it from said he got it at the FUN show from a collector who purchased it in the late 70s; so it's been off the market for a long while (as it will be again ;) ) He stated it was the 2d best example he's sold, previously selling a white metal peice that NGC graded 65 PL...maybe that's MJ's piece...

I can't tell you how many of these pieces were struck in any metal. I believe that the brass is a good deal scarcer than the white metal pieces. I've only seen one or two other examples in brass. DeWitt - Sullivan lists the piece in silver, copper, brass, white metal and lead. I have never seen it in anything but brass and white metal.

I can't tell you how many of these pieces were struck in any metal. I believe that the brass is a good deal scarcer than the white metal pieces. I've only seen one or two other examples in brass. DeWitt - Sullivan lists the piece in silver, copper, white metal and lead. I have never seen it in anything but brass and white metal.

Thanks. Always appreciate an education.

Thanks for the kind replies guys! I knew others on this board would have an example of this token as well. It's definitely the current highlight of my Civil War collection.

And thanks for the population update Bill. Do you know how many were stuck in brass as opposed to white metal? Was it struck in any other metals to your knowledge?

The dealer I purchased it from said he got it at the FUN show from a collector who purchased it in the late 70s; so it's been off the market for a long while (as it will be again ;) ) He stated it was the 2d best example he's sold, previously selling a white metal peice that NGC graded 65 PL...maybe that's MJ's piece...

Hi BKW, that is my piece. If you want me to pm you a pic I would be happy to. MJ

Civil War Preservations (http://civilwarpreservations.com/Home.aspx/Catpage/Currency?c=8) has an example struck in bronze over white metal with the bronze missing on about 20% of the obverse from 2 to 5 o'clock and a few spots on the reverse. See at:

http://civilwarpreservations.com/images/sale/MJM198-01.jpg

Civil War Preservations (http://civilwarpreservations.com/Home.aspx/Catpage/Currency?c=8) has an example struck in bronze over white metal with the bronze missing on about 20% of the obverse from 2 to 5 o'clock and a few spots on the reverse. See at:

http://civilwarpreservations.com/images/sale/MJM198-01.jpg

I would want to have that piece certified or at least take a good long look at it. It might be an electro.