• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smithsonian Stories on Money Exhibit report

26 posts in this topic

I was in DC this weekend for a family life cycle event, and having some free time on Saturday afternoon, my immediate family and sister went to the National Mall. The Museum of American History was closed for renovations when we last visited as a family in 2008, so that is where everyone wanted to go. Believe it or not, the money exhibit completely slipped my mind, but when I saw it there, I had to take a peak. I last saw the previous display many years ago, when I lived in the area.

The coins, of course, were fabulous. I felt like a docent, describing them to my sister and children as my wife's eyes rolled time and again. It was a very small exhibit hall (smaller than the smallest walk-in closet at Longacre's estate), but there was a lot of numismatic greatness packed into the small space. It did not take long to visit, and we had plenty of time to see the all-important Ruby Red Slippers from the Wizard of Oz and Michelle Obama's inauguration dress. My favorite areas were an America at War exhibit and the new Star Spangled Banner exhibit. The latter literally gave my chills. If people are interested, I could post some of the coin photos, taken with the coins behind glass, but you have likely seen better representations of these coins elsewhere.

Ya know - everyone always talks the 1849 up, but it just does nothing for me. Other such coins (1882 Lib nickel, anyone?) are fairly cheap as patterns - why is this one talked about with such reverance?

Is it cuz I'm not a gold guy that i don't get chills?

TDN - all that glitters is not gold, and all that is gold does not glitter. I'm a silver guy myself, so that expression resonates deeply with me.

Sorry, RYK!

EVP

Ya know - everyone always talks the 1849 up, but it just does nothing for me. Other such coins (1882 Lib nickel, anyone?) are fairly cheap as patterns - why is this one talked about with such reverance?

The $20 gold coin is (obviously) the highest denomination gold coin, and the 1849 was the unique, first coin in the series.

Imagine a unique 1793 silver dollar of the flowing hair design.

TDN, I'm thinkin it is because you now are co-owner of the most expensive coin ever, that perhaps anything less is, well, banal? (shrug)

Thank goodness I am poor and can find any coin full of history and wonder.

Best, HT

Didnt mean to take the thread off tangent. Sorry RYK

Me too. Sorry.

Back on tangent...

Each time I go to DC, I always try to squeeze in time for the coin exhibit. I've never actually seen it. I've seen the stamp collection. Wow! I would love to get my fix in...

I'm envious.

EVP

TDN, I'm thinkin it is because you now are co-owner of the most expensive coin ever, that perhaps anything less is, well, banal? (shrug)

Best, HT

No, cuz I felt that way BEFORE it was purchased. Seeing the pic just reminded me - it's not an attractive coin.

Didnt mean to take the thread off tangent. Sorry RYK

Me too. Sorry.

Back on tangent...

Each time I go to DC, I always try to squeeze in time for the coin exhibit. I've never actually seen it. I've seen the stamp collection. Wow! I would love to get my fix in...

I'm envious.

EVP

No problem, guys. It is certainly a point that is a propos to a thread on the exhibit. :banana:

Could be. Silly as "what if" games are, I'm tempted to ask what if the 1794 dollars were all considered patterns? What if the 1849 $20 presented to William Meredith were to be located, authenticated, and was in play? My expectation is that you and Laura would have a significant say in the hammer price.

I suppose if it had a different design than the $20 Libs made for circulation, it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Best, HT

No, cuz I felt that way BEFORE it was purchased. Seeing the pic just reminded me - it's not an attractive coin.

It does have hairlines, but it does have history, tough call either way.

Best, HT

I saw the 1849 $20 proof and a 1913 Liberty Nickel at the Fort Worth money show a couple of years ago. Neither was impressive, but then again they were cool as heck. I also saw a lot of their other presentation coins and all I kept thinking was... how could the Smithsonian people have ruined so many coins?

TDN, were you amongst the contingent with JA a few years ago that got the back room tour of the Smithsonian? I remember a thread about it. I can't remember what the guys name who posted the thread, haven't seen him in a while but I admit I don't spend much time ATS. He had his St. Gauden's set "They Syrup of Saints". He reported about all the different varieties of Saints that had been struck including some that were $10 size and many different patterns. Also he stated that he held the 1849 in hand. I think that would have been pretty darn cool.

It does have hairlines, but it does have history, tough call either way.

Not just hairlines, damage in the field above star 1 and a heavy scratch from star 5 across the coronet and into the field above the head.

Is there any progress on the NNC endowment, and the possiblity that was bandied about concerning a dedicated museum for this extensive collection? Right now, most of it is in boxes in a warehouse (or something like that) - I'd love to see a museum that permanently showcases our numismatic history. If I recall, Heritage held special fundraising auctions specifically for this cause.

physics-fan3.14 -

Nope. There are several collectors who could endow/finance this out of pocket change, but..... well, you know the story.

Jay Brahin.
Thanks for the reminder there Mr Messy. For some reason my mind was thinking Jay Ahmin. Not sure why, guess I'm getting old! er....

Here is a link to the old post, no pictures left unfortunately.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=685278&highlight_key=y&keyword1=smithsonian

I remember seeing the Heritage auctions advertised but I have no idea if they even came off, and if they did how much money was raised or where it went/is now.

The Smithsonian 150th anniversary commemoratives back in 1996 were also originally suppose to create an endowment for the NNC. Then at the last moment the surcharges were split with half going the the Smithsonian to use as they saw fit and the other half was used for Smithsonian salaries. The NNC saw very little of the money raised for it.