• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Planchet Flaws" and body bags

2 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. RI AL here...member a few years ago but between travel and move to Massachusetts from Rhode Island (RI), I have been off the boards for a while. Hope to be able to spend more time here. I had some great "friends" ere before I fell off the planet. Oh...now I'm Music AL. (I collect world music coins along with early U.S. type.)

Anyway, here's my question. A couple of years ago I submitted several 8 reales coins from the 1700's-1800's I purchased while living in Southern Peru (1975-1979). One came back in a "body bag" marked "planchet flaw". In Heritage auctions online catalogs recently I have seen early U.S. coins that WERE encapsulated with the same "planchet flaw" designation. Has there been a change in policy on encapsulating (or not) coins that fall into that category? It's not really a big issue, but I am curious why some are in capsules and others not. Is it a rarity thing...or is it in fact a more recent policy change?

Thanks so much. Music Al

Are we permitted to post photos on the NGC board? I don't remember.

• Administrator

Thanks for the question. Prior to October 2008 NGC did not holder "Details" coins. Read more about NGC Details grading. Coins with issue such as planchet flaws would have needed to be submitted to NCS, an affiliated company, to be holdered.

NGC now certifies these coins with a Details grade, but there are some instances where the planchet flaw appears very fragile and if we believe that the holder could potentially damage the coin, we will not certify it and will return it raw.

Yes, you can post images on the chat boards. There should be an icon for you to upload one above the text box.