• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rapid Book Review: The Draped Bust Half Dollar of 1796-1797 (Jon Amato)

9 posts in this topic

I do not have any references specific to the great, wonderful and majestic Draped Bust Small Eagle (DBSE) half-dollar, so I ordered this book from Heritage: The Draped Bust Half Dollar of 1796-1797, written by Jon Amato, published by Heritage Auctions. I didn't realize prior to purchase that the book is (evidently) an attempt to census the entire known population of DBSE halves, and it is a rather monumental undertaking in that regard, not unlike the census of known 1794 dollars.

Here are quick points on what I like and don't like about the book:

1. "Grade" is given as an overall non-numeric, as with old time nomenclature. It's "Very Fine obverse, Digs, Fine reverse" rather than "VF-35". I love this. It gives these historic coins their just due rather than the inscrutability of a single number. Of course, sometimes a mere "Very Fine" suffices, but the author doesn't make any foolish attempt to try to fine-tune it down to impossibly precise arithmetic. Appropriately, there are times when certified numeric grades are quoted as supporting reference.

2. "Provenance" - extremely valuable and informative, along with identification markers that are mentioned, not to denigrate a specific coin, but instead to help identify it in the future.

3. One coin per page - the pages are not overcrowded with senseless verbiage and trivial data.

4. Image quality - very good in my opinion. Also, it looks like for coins that haven't been seen in a long time, archive images were digitally reproduced and possibly enhanced in an effort to complete the photographic record. Awesome!

5. Objectivity - the book is clearly not intended to sway opinion in any particular way for any particular subject.

6. No advertisements!! None of the -- shall we say -- prolific ads that usually accompany a Heritage publication.

DISLIKE

1. Just one... it's softcover. In fact, I think it must be printed on the same equipment that produces Heritage auction catalogs. I understand the cost savings factor, but this is the kind of material that I am Geek enough to read cover to cover, and I wish I had more confidence in the durability.

My rating: 4.5 stars (out of five)

Is this about the dollar or the half dollar? I thought I read somewhere that Heritage was releasing a book about the half dollar, but the price seemed really high. Is it worth the price?

Draped bust HALF dollar?

If you own two, it's a dollar lol ! Correction made.

Is this about the dollar or the half dollar? I thought I read somewhere that Heritage was releasing a book about the half dollar, but the price seemed really high. Is it worth the price?

The price probably is rather high for a general audience, but for me, it was worth it. There's just about no 18th century silver that I can afford, let alone a DBSE half, so a compendium like this lets me enjoy the coins virtually. Buy it only if you have particular interest in early halves.

Considering I paid $150 for the 1794 dollar book (Hardbound, the softbound was $125) I don't think the price is too bad.

You can find it by going clicking the Auction tab, then clicking 'View Full Schedule', then clicking on 'Order Catalog', it is under 'Special Offers'.

Best, HT

James, has this book been released? I was looking for it on the Heritage site, but I can't find it.

I only heard of it via a Heritage spam eMail, which contained a link.

(This is no complaint -- I do not mind spam from Heritage.)