• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1937 BUFFALO

2 posts in this topic

I submitted this question on the general coin forum to no avail, maybe a moderator can help me out... im pretty new to this(numismatics) so please bear with me... I recently obtained a 1937 Buffalo nick with no mint mark and doubling on CEN of cents on the reverse...the buffalo does have all 4 legs.I did not find this listing on the Cherrypickers guide or anywhere else for that matter for this particular coin...Any input would be greatly appreciated...Also, whats the best way to photograph a coin... digital?... macro zoom for close ups?... anyway.. thanks.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

In most instances, such doubling turns out to be strike doubling, also referred to as mechanical doubling or machine doubling. This is the result of a little jiggle in the press that pushes some metal out of place at the moment the dies withdraw, and it leaves a secondary impression that is flat instead of contoured, as in the primary impression.

NGC won't be able to determine whether your coin has true die doubling or simply strike doubling without examining it, though a very good photo may provide a talking point. As for how to get a good photograph, fellow forum members may be able to help you with that.