• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone know anything about this Shiloh token?

3 posts in this topic

This token is listed in the back of the Fuld Civil War Store Card book as SNL-10b (SNL = Special Non-Local). I have not been able to learn anything about the circumstances under which this piece was issued. It seems like it could be some sort of Civil War veterans' reunion celebration. As such it would not seem that it is a real Civil War token. Still it is rated as a rare piece, R-8, 5 to 10 known and has an interesting design.

SNL10bR-1.jpgSNL10bO-1.jpg

I am not surprised that no one has been able to provide any more information about this piece. My Internet searches led only to notes that it existed. One treasure hunter found a heavily corroded piece with metal detector. Heritage auctioned one a few years ago, but their usually informative write-up consisted only of a rarity rating and a comment that it is in the Fuld Civil War store card book.

I don't think that this really belongs to be listed as a Civil War token because I don't know if it really circulated as one. The date 1862 refers to the Battle of Shiloh, not a issue date IMO.

Back in May of 2011 I posted this information on this board:

One clue is that I think the die maker signed the piece in the very fine print below the cannon on the reverse, "H. MILLER LOU. Ky." H. Miller & Co. was located on 3rd Street in Louisville, Kentucky. The firm issued all of the Louisville, Kentucky store cards. In an article in the Winter 1980 Copperhead Courier (one of the alternative names for the Civil War Token Journal) titled “Civil War Die Sinkers and Their Card: An Update” David Gladfelter wrote that the H. Miller store cards are “all rare, are well-struck and decorative.” To my eye this token appears to have been made by the same die sinker. Like the Shiloh piece this token is rare and is listed as an R-8.

"H. Miller Lou. Ky." may have issued this as a generic Civil War patriotic, but somehow I doubt it. Thanks to the 30 of you who opened this message for a look.

Here is a link ot my 2011 post:

2011 post

Yea Bill, I took some time to research but couldn't find anything except for what you have listed above and the battle information. I too believe it's a commemorative date and not issue date. I found a lot of art based on the information you gave but not much else. I didn't want to just reply with no information but this one deserves to have another bump to the top.