• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1882-O Morgan

15 posts in this topic

After some searching and looking around with my loupe, I found some die polish marks on the inside of the ear. So I got to looking at the date and noticed some doubling on the left side of the top loop. Then flipped the coin over and started examining the reverse. The Eagle and wreath have small dots all over them which looked odd to me. So I checked out the mint mark and there it wass! The broken crossbar of the old "S" mintmark! It extends halfway through the "O". You can kind of see it in the picture above. From what I've found so far, I believe this coin to be a VAM-5 Doubled 82, Open 2, O/S Broken.

George! Could you imagine buying a coin thinking it was one thing and then after a little closer look you find it to be something else, or something more? This is definitely something more! You should start a Morgan set and get in on the action! Although it's been pretty quiet around here tonight.

Nice photo. Can you help me out on how to put up a photo on a thread? I get pretty good pictures downloaded to my computer and get stuck.

Did put some on imageshack - copy and paste to thread but not doing something correctly.

Thanks if anyone can offer advise.

Thanks, Skeeter

Thanks. I'm nowhere near as good as some of the others on here though. Some of these guys have amazing pictures that are 1000x's better than what I have! But I use photobucket. I'm not familiar with imageshack. Is that a site similar to photobucket? If it is, there should be a way that you can copy the hyperlink, I think it is referred to as the IMG code, for your photo. Once the link is copied, paste it over into the reply box on the post and it should be there.

Deerefan8420 Thanks.

Imageshack is like photobucket.

I'll work on that. My previous tries didn't open after transfering to post. Probably doing something wrong.

Have a good evening.

Skeeter

Got the grade back for the coin yesterday. It seemed the general consensus here was MS62. My own thoughts were MS60-63. I would have been happy if it came back within that range. It came back as an AU58 though. There must have been some wear, a rub or something else I missed. I'm not sure if it's worth sending in for a regrade though. It's only a $100 price jump between AU58 and MS60. Any suggestions? 2598837-001 That's the Cert.# if anyone wants to take a look.

Maybe the rim damage had some bearing on the reduction from 60 to 58.

1882_Rim_Damage1.jpg

I sent in a gold 1913 $2.5 Indian, that was pictured here at one time, and it had some rim damage and I was worried they would not grade it at all because of that. They did grade and encapsulate at a AU-58 also. Maybe that is some sort of compromise rather than not grading and slabbing it at all. Don't know but I was thankful for that 58 on mine.

Did you receive that 83-CC yet?

I'm not quite sure how they factor in rim damage on high AU or MS coins. But it could be a factor. I have to be honest, I never really noticed the rim ding before. Maybe someone who is more experience will chime in and explain how rim dings affect the grading. As for the '83-CC, I have not received it yet but I expect it to be here tomorrow or Saturday! I can't wait to get it in hand!