• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1945 Mercury Dime with Full Bands? Not!. Grade help would be cool.

7 posts in this topic

Change.

I learned how and where to upload them. But yes I understand they are not FB.

Thanks for any help.

1945_Merc_Dime_Obverse.JPG

1945_Merc_Dime_Reverse.JPG

Never mind. I think I found the answer to my question on another post. Am reading it now to try and learn something.

First, this is a very inadequate photo to use for grading the coin. The image has not been cropped, and the photography is not such that the coin itself is shown in a size that allows you to look at it in sufficient detail.

Having said that the coin appears to be Mint State although it has most likely been dipped. My guess is that the grade is in the MS-63 area. I see no reason to speculate that this coin has full bans. There is weakness in the strike below the all-important center bans, and I don't see them split in the picture.

As a general rule I will say this as a piece of advice. Fooling with scarce date and mint, variety or quality of strike raw coins (or coins that have not been certified by NGC or PCGS) on the Internet is a losers game. So many significant coins have been certified by now that it leads one to ask, "Why is THAT coin not been certified?" Usually there is a reason, and that reason is often not to the advantage of the buyer.

I've been a collector since the early 1960s, and I was a dealer for over a decade. I bought raw coins for many years before certification existed. Today I would not even dream of bidding a high price for a raw coin, and I only buy tokens and medals from dealers I know very well and trust.

The 1945 dime with full split bans is a very scarce item. If I owned one and was looking to sell it, I would not even dream of selling it raw; I would get it certified so that I could get the best price.

I don't understand why people are not clicking on the link to get the bigger pictures that you can zoom in. But yes I am learning what an FB is by reading another thread where someone that did indeed have a FB was told that he didn't by someone with a level of experience closer to yours than a newbie such as I.

BTW, I did not buy this dime as a FB Dime. I bought this coin as a BU dime and it easily qualifies for BU but regardless my wife likes these dimes so that was one of the reasons I bought it at all. I paid $11.99

As far as certified.... My safe is holding quite a few of those. That is what I buy more often than not and I am fully aware that raw coins off ebay is a recipe for disaster ...... Unless you are spending $12.00 which I am well in the financial position that I can afford to loose that daily however not a habit I would gravitate to.

I did clink the link – photos are about the same size. It is very difficult to grade this coin from your photos. As Bill said the coin looks dipped and could be an Ms63 - Ms 64. Coin is obviously not Split bands – you already figured this out. We are talking about a $10 coin here.

Yes sir I now understand what is meant by FB.

Btw; Did you guys not try rolling your mouse button to enlarge the picture or pushing that + button. Those pictures I put up there were every bit as detailed as ones I am seeing on here. In my opinion of-course.

I guess I will have to figure out a less complicated way to post a picture then or I doubt anyone will see the close ups of those gold 2.5 pieces either.

Thanks