• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A couple Gold 2.5's One Indian One Liberty Head

18 posts in this topic

Maybe you folks could give me a guess on these two different gold coins please before I even think about grading.

Thanks.

Ahhhh.... I see the file manager now where I guess I can upload photos here .... Will give that a try.

Well that didn't work either it would seem.

There I think I got it. Maybe that will be big enough.

134843.jpg.a0ef98a4406af897522ed055cb5ac249.jpg

134844.jpg.8121b35df3a78859b06dd86db054f827.jpg

134845.jpg.68a488e476f389646587d5cb5a4cef4a.jpg

134846.jpg.537b33e5c1a8bb6cf5b5bb89d85d5783.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Those are tough images by which to provide grade guesses, but I'll go with AU on both coins. In terms of detail, the second piece looks XF on the reverse. But I presume that is due to weak strike, seeing as how the obverse is much more detailed.

Thanks for the opinions.

Well I made some money on those then. If that 2nd one was to come in at a AU-55 it would just about pay for what I gave for both of them.

Maybe I will send them in one of these days.

Here is a couple of pics of an XF45 ... Surely mine looks much better than that. What am I missing here?

Yours looks cleaner, in terms of marks, but it does not appear to have more detail.

I would have to disagree that the other XF pictured has more detail. Just a quick glance at the top of the obverse shows stars that are worn nearly even. Mine are no where close to that. And the date is worn much more than mine it would seem.

You fellas are probably right on the money but I can't see it from the photos however I am just now getting involved in numismatics so I will probably be losing money for quite a while before I learn the ropes and make some money.

I sent them in to be graded anyway so I guess in a month or so I will know for sure. I am hoping for 55 or better. I think I would quit the hobby outright if it they come back XF45.

I have went back and looked and compared multiple coins that are similar and I guess an XF on that second one is reasonably possible and I have adjusted my expectations accordingly. I would still make money even at an XF or a little lower but I would do really good with an AU 53 or 55 or so. I will be lucky if I was to break even on that Indian. I was not aware that it doesn't really bring much compared to the liberty.

I can only hope now that they have been submitted and they have them that they don't come back as ungradable because of some 'Cleaned' reason or something like that. That would be really hard to swallow. I submitted through PCGS and not NGC. I don't know what difference that might make but it looks like NGC actually is a little more liberal on the grades I have seen from them compared to PCGS.

AU-58 on the Indian

XF-45 on the liberty

You fella's were dead on. I am happy with those grades.

The photos are over exposed which makes it hard to grade these pieces. I agree with the sharpness grades of AU for the Indian $2.50 and EF for the Liberty, but possibility exists that they may have been polished which changes the end result dramatically.

I don't have a $2.50 Liberty in EF, but I do have a number of $2.50 Indians that fall into that grade. Here is one of them. Note that the luster "plays" with the light and is not a "flat shine." The surfaces of a Mint State or AU coin "play" with the light because coins are stuck under high levels of pressure which cause the metal to flow like a liquid when the dies come together. The result of this is surfaces that have a microscopic ripple effect that changes the nature of the reflected light.

1914-DO.jpg1914-DR.jpg

Note that the luster "plays" with the light and is not a "flat shine." The surfaces of a Mint State or AU coin "play" with the light because coins are stuck under high levels of pressure which cause the metal to flow like a liquid when the dies come together. The result of this is surfaces that have a microscopic ripple effect that changes the nature of the reflected light.

I never knew why the light reacted the way it does. I will assume that this is the "play" with the light that you are explaining to me. If not then I am lost.

Yep, you've got it. (thumbs u

Once you learn to spot mint luster you are long way toward avoiding whizzed or polished coins and learning how to tell the difference between Mint State and AU grade coins. AU coins will show breaks in the cartwheel luster.